Filed Under | baking, cookies, healthier choices

Chocolate Chip Sunflower Butter Cookie

How’s that for a tongue twister?

Sunflower Butter Cookie

This healthy cookie post is brought to you by my mom (who mentioned that we should post ‘healthy’ recipes) and the heavenly Full Circle Sunflower Butter from Jack (Dan’s dad).

I adapted the recipe (to suit what we have in the pantry) from Smitten Kitchen, who adapted it from the Magnolia Bakery Cookbook. Uh-huh, that’s what’s recycling is all about.

I think it’s a good alternative for people who are allergic to peanuts, but still want a nut butter cookie. Peanut butter lovers should try this, you just might fall in love all over again with nut butter. This is a semi-chewy cookie that doesn’t feel heavy when you eat it. It’s great as an office within-your-reach (or like my previous co-workers, drawer stash) munchies.

Chocolate Chip Sunflower Butter Cookie

1¼ cups all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup smooth sunflower butter at room temperature
¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon (for sprinkling) sugar
½ cup loosely packed C&H Golden Brown Cane Sugar (for you foodies out there, here‘s an interesting article on sugars and baking)
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup chocolate chips (I used Nestlé Toll House Semi-Sweet)

Procedure

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2) In a large bowl, combine the flour, the baking soda, the baking powder, and the salt. Set aside.

3) In a large bowl, beat the butter and the peanut butter together until fluffy. Add the sugars and beat until smooth. Add the egg and mix well. Add the milk and the vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and beat thoroughly. Stir in the chocolate chips.

4) Place sprinkling sugar on a plate. Drop mixture by rounded half tablespoonfuls (I used I round plastic measuring spoon) into the sugar, then onto ungreased cookie sheets, leaving about 3 inches in between.

5) Use a stiff plastic spatula to press the cookie down to about half an inch thick.

6) Bake for 10 to 12 minutes (set your timer to 10 first and check, mine was done then).

Do not overbake. Cookies may appear to be underdone, but they are not.

7) Cool the cookies on the sheets for 1 minute, then remove to a rack to cool completely.

Makes around 35 half-tablespoon batter cookies.

NOTE: I wouldn’t suggest making “big” cookies with this batter. Two-bite size is perfect.

18 Responses to “Chocolate Chip Sunflower Butter Cookie”

1. jun & lil says:

This looks as yummy as it is healthy! Keep the healthy choices flowing – we all need it. Who says you can’t have your butter cookie and eat it too :-)

HI Joy & Dan,

The cookies look good enoiugh to devour!

Hey MS & Mr foodie. Almondbutter is healthy and yummy too and packed with lots of calcium. I have to get outa here. This site is makin me hungry.

4. Laura says:

Question. I used a peanut butter cookie recipe and used Sunflower butter instead of peanut butter. The cookies tasted great but the next day, the inside of the cookie turned bright green. I stored the remaining cookie dough in the refrigerator and after a three to four days, it too turned a bright green. Have you ever experienced this? Do you know what caused this to happen?

5. joy says:

Hi Laura,
    My cookies did not turn green at all. It could be because of the recipe.
    I looked up the turning-green phenomenon you were talking about and found this from the SunButter site:
    “When using your own recipe that contains baking soda or baking powder, in combination with SunButter‚Ñ¢, you may notice a discoloration in your baked goods.

This is not a problem! Simply reduce your baking soda or baking powder or add lemon juice to balance the ph factor and maintain proper color.

This discoloration is the result of sunflower seeds being rich in Chlorogenic acid which is found naturally in all plants. Most plants only have Chlorogenic acid in the stems and leaves, but sunflower also has it in the seeds. This is one of the reasons sunflower is so good for you. ”

Is that what you used? Hope that helped. I’d be alarmed if I saw my cookies turn green, too. But thankfully, there is nothing wrong with your cookies…just some chemical reaction. :-)

6. gala says:

I found this blog entry because I did a search for “sunflower butter in cookies turns green”! I substituted Trader Joe’s brand in a favorite peanut butter cookie recipe… baked a batch that was great-tasting and had no discoloration, refrigerating the rest for future use. Just a couple days later, the dough was deep mossy green on the outside. Yikes! But it didn’t smell bad, and wouldn’t have had time to mold. I’m fascinated by the reason, but still find it unappetizing to eat a dark green-streaked cookie :)

7. joan says:

FYI if you have a peanut allergy, don’t use the toll house chocolate chips in your recipe. There is the possibility of cross contamination with the chips because they are manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts also.

I also can’t use almond butter because my son has a tree nut allergy. I am excited to try this recipe because my daughters have missed peanut butter so much. We have had the Sunbutter, which I think tastes great. Is there others out there that taste even better?

thanks

8. joan says:

These are yummy. I think they taste just like peanut butter cookies.

9. joan says:

I used Sunbutter because there is no cross contamination issues with peanuts. My son has a peanut and tree nut allergy, so we can’t use a lot of things for cooking. Also, the Sunbutter makes great homemade reeses peanut butter cups, minus the peanut butter and substituting Sunbutter. My girls, who don’t have the peanut allergy are in heaven.

10. Very unique recipe..that sunflower butter sounds delicious :)

11. Brandy says:

Just came across this recipe and it looks great, only I noticed you used Nestle Toll House. The yellow bag? All of ours state made in a place that produces peanuts/nuts and may contain peanuts/nuts.

FYI..We use Hershey;s.

I am going to try the recipe

12. Elizabeth says:

I have also experienced the “green” effect from sunbutter cookies. The first time, since I’d left the cookies out overnight, I thought it was due to rapid spoilage and I threw them out (what a shame!). After my next batch, I looked a few cookie centers in the sunlight shortly after taking them out of the oven and saw there were already yellow-green flecks within the cookie. That was a duh! moment (I thought of my perfect cookies in the trash). And I’ve noticed, also, as a few days pass, the flecks become more richly green, but the flavor stays the same. I realized it was just the sunflower seeds, and I’m happy to get confirmation of that here!

13. Angela says:

I am an educator, and share healthy treats with my students from time to time. I am fascinated with the information about the chemical reaction. I think I’ll time sharing these treats with my students while doing a tribute to Dr. Suess’s Green Eggs and Ham!