To Quiche or Not To Quiche: Post-St. Patty’s Crustless Quiche

Quiche used to be one of those foods that I had no opinion of — I neither like nor hate it. Just so-so. I’ve never had one that sent sparks flying until I took a bite of my own the other day. I know it’s extremely biased to say that, but considering how hypercritical I am of my cooking and calling anything sub-par as ‘failures’, please bear with me on this.

I have never made quiche and haven’t had the inkling to make one. This changed decades later when I saw the crustless quiche in the March 2008 issue of Gourmet (page 84). I instantly envisioned my own tasty fluffy egg-y goodness in ramekins:

Post-St. Patty's Crustless Quiche
A couple of minutes out of the oven, with the poofy top now sunk in.

I was inspired to make them in serving size containers, which should be just the right amount for me and Dan. I coated the ramekins with corn flake crumbs, lined the bottom with leftover corned beef (from Monday’s dinner) that was sauteed with white onion and celery. Then came the topping of shredded Colby Jack cheese. Finally, the egg-milk-cream mixture sealed it to make quiche. The result was beyond divine:

Post-St. Patty's Crustless Quiche
Love at first bite.

The sweet scent of sauteed onion, celery, and corned beef lingered in the kitchen while these were baking, so I was expecting a good treat after 25 minutes. Digging into the just-out-of-the-oven steaming quiche released a comforting aroma that surpassed all my expectations. The first bite was indescribable. Wow — did I really make this?! It was light and soft, the eggs were perfectly, perfectly cooked. The ‘filling’ was oh so happy to be melded in the cheese and egg and milk. Just…wonderful. I think Dan and I have now been “converted” from being unimpressed with quiche to loving quiche.

I learned a lesson the day I made my first quiche: Don’t walk away from a dish until you’ve tried making it at home. The freshness of the ingredients and the dish itself, and the joy of cooking, make a huge difference. Yes, there might be few mistakes every now and then, but that’s what makes it a great adventure!

If you love quiche, try this and let me know what your quiche-connoisseur taste buds think. If you never liked quiche, are still on the fence, and/or would like to try it, I honestly think this might make you change your mind. And it’s so simple to make, too!

Here’s the visual step-by-step guide:

On to the recipe:

POST ST. PATTY’S CRUSTLESS QUICHEDownload the PDF recipe for St. Patty's Crustless Quiche

Yields 3 small ramekin servings

Ingredients – can be easily doubled

• 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, plus additional (softened) butter for coating the sides of the ramekin
  • corn flake crumbs for coating the sides of the ramekin
  • 1/2 white onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup sliced celery
  • 1/2 cup cooked corned beef, diced
  • 9 tablespoons Colby jack cheese, shredded
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup whole milk
  • kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper

Preparation

1. Pre-heat oven to 425°F.
  2. With a cooking brush, thinly coat the sides of the ramekins with softened butter. Add about a tablespoon of cornflake crumbs then rotate the ramekin to spread the crumbs and let them adhere to the butter on the sides. Tap awaw and remove excess crumbs..
  3. Sauté onions and celery in a tablespoon of butter in a frying pan over medium heat, about 2 minutes. Add corned beef, and sauté for 4 minutes. Remove from the heat then divide and spread on the bottom of each ramekin.
  4. Top with 3 tablespoons of cheese for each ramekin. Spread evenly.
  5. Whisk together eggs, cream, milk, and 1/2-teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Pour into each ramekin.
  6. Place ramekins on a baking sheet and bake in the oven until top is golden and custard is set in center, about 25 minutes.
  7. Slightly cool before serving.

Notes

• This is a fantastic “basic” recipe that you can alter with your own ingredients for the filling – fish, poultry, beef, vegetables, including your leftovers!
  • You can easily double the recipe to fill a 10-inch quiche dish or 10-inch glass pie plate. Bake for 25-30 minutes.

Comments

1. says

It is official. You may be the kindest person of all-time. Cheers.

Your quiche and everything else is beautiful.

You should be on Top Chef.

Cheers,

Rowdy

2. says

I love quiche as well. And these photos are excellent! I also like the idea of the individual servings, seems like that would make storing the uneaten portions easier. Nice!

3. joy says

Elle — I have a lot to learn about this dish. Howcome nobody told me that it goes with a salad? Haha. We’ll try that next time.

Ada — What a sweet surprise for him. :) Happy anniversary to you two!

KidsinTheKitchen — Thanks! Let me know how it turns out.

Jojo — Thank you. I used a Nikon D80 for these photos.

Ben — You must try homemade quiche before anything else! I’ve been jaded by all the bad ones I encountered. Haha.

Rowdy — Haha…thanks. What did I do to deserve that? Top Chef is way beyond my measly kitchen abilities.

Jillian — Wow…lots of quiche lovers here. :) Thank you. Yes, the individual servings are perfect especially if you’re not making it for a lot of people. Dan was able to bring the third ramekin to work.

Mark — Go make some! ;-)

4. says

those are gorgeous. i never liked quiche much until i made my own (caramelized onion quiche off of simply recipes was my first!) and somehow homemade is always so much better. maybe because most restaurant quiche is baked in the morning and sits around all day (which is kind of yucky for an egg dish, in my opinion), whereas most homemade quiche is served fresh out of the oven, still warm?

katy’s last blog post..How To Render Duck Fat

5. says

that’s a really nice looking quiche! i know i’ve tasted one here in the philippines (alam mo naman it’s not really a popular dish here), and i think it wasn’t as remarkable because i can’t even remember it. hehe.

i have really GOT to get our oven working. :)

6. joy says

Katy — Thanks girl! Yeah, the egg sometimes become “rubbery” that it’s gross when it gets on your table. I don’t think I’ll ever eat quiche again unless it’s fresh out of the oven.

Metroknow — Hahaha…true! Men don’t say, “I love Quiche!” LOL. I suggest you put flavorful ingredients you love, that don’t lose too much moisture (or you’ll get a soupy mess at the bottom, I would think).You’ll have to try a freshly baked quiche to really appreciate it. Good luck! If you have a round pan, you can use that, too. But that’s a lot of quiche.

Ris — Thank you. Haha…yeah, I don’t even remember eating quiche in the Philippines. You can try making them in a toaster oven if you have one. That should work. Just watch it closely to make sure they don’t burn.

7. says

Joy, this quiche looks sooo delicious! Never made a quiche in my life but your step by steps are so helpful. I may give it a try. You have a beautiful blog, I am subscribing to you right away! BTW, thanks for stopping by my site.

8. joy says

Farida — Thanks! Go forth and make quiche! Haha. Thanks for subscribing. I subscribed to yours when I saw the zebra cake. :-) You fave good stuff!

9. says

I just noticed you have an electric stove. I am WELL impressed. I am hopeless at cooking on our electric stove. Though maybe I’m just a hopeless cook.

What do you do with your leftovers? If I cook something that feeds more than 2, the leftovers go in the fridge and NEVER get eaten. :(

Sandy’s last blog post..goodbye non-existant paycheques!