Filed Under | baking, cheese, dairy, fun, pasta

Smack Yo Mamma Mac and Cheese

Pause. Breathe deep. And behold a remarkably rich and creamy mac n’ cheese that’ll have you smitten:

Smack Yo Mamma Mac and Cheese

And the good thing is, we didn’t even have to lift a finger in preparing it! Dan’s mom, Mary Anne, baked it as part of Easter dinner at their house, and we took some home. Woohoo! What can I say — she spoils the family good. :-)

The recipe she used was from one of the finalists on Emeril’s Best Mac ‘n’ Cheese Ever Challenge, Princess Thompson, who described this as — ‘…the right mixture of love and cheese and once you taste you’ll want to Smack Yo Mamma and say, “Why didn’t you ever make macaroni and cheese like this?“‘

It was awesome. I still remember taking my first mouthful. Wow.

Go make ‘em before you get a smackin’ from your friends and family! Here’s the recipe:

Princess Thompson’s Smack Yo Mamma Mac and Cheese

Ingredients:

• 2 cups of shredded mild cheddar
  • 2 cups of shredded Colby jack blend
  • 1 cup of medium cheddar
  • 2 cups of shredded Velveeta or small box
  • 1 box of elbow macaroni or noodle of choice (try cellentani or cavatappi — my kids love the fun shapes)
  • 4 eggs
  • 3 cups of whole milk
  • 1 cup of heavy cream
  • 1/2 a stick of butter
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Preparation (This recipe is for a 13 x 9 pan at least 3 to 4 inches deep):

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, spray pan with non stick spray.
  2. Boil noodles as per directions on box until just undercooked. Quick rinse, shake, drain and put to the side.
  3. Mix eggs, milk, cream and salt and pepper, whisk until well blended. Pour 1/2 of milk mixture in bottom of the pan. Add a layer of noodles, then add salt and pepper. Take shredded cheese and combine in a bowl, give a quick toss. Top noodles with cheese, mix cheese up a little with noodles and repeat layers. If using box Velveeta, slice pieces over shredded mixture. (Don’t forget salt and pepper on each layer.)
  4. When you get to top, the last of cheese heavy on top. Take the rest of milk mixture and pour the remaining over the noodles and cheese. Poke holes so milk mixture can get all the way through. Melt butter and pour over mixture. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
  5. Cover tightly with foil. Bake in oven for 45 minutes. Remove foil and cook 5-10 minutes more until golden. Let stand for at least 10-15 minutes before serving. Always even better the next day.

15 Responses to “Smack Yo Mamma Mac and Cheese”

1. Ben says:

It looks really good. Anybody can make mac ‘n cheese, but just a few can make a GOOD mac ‘n cheese. Hehehe. Welcome back!

Ben’s last blog post..Guess the secret ingredient

2. Ben says:

Wow. That looks sensational!

Ben’s last blog post..Follow the brick and beam road?; Discovery #1

3. It looks so delicious, Joy!
    I have never had mac and cheese… :S

Patricia Scarpin’s last blog post..Cheese pinwheel scones

4. Deborah says:

This is pure indulgence!! It sounds amazing!

Deborah’s last blog post..Cookbook of the Month Recipe – Choc-Tipped Cookies

No wonder it’s so good–look at all of that cheese! hehehe! Sounds absolutely decadent, Joy–what a wonderful mom in law you’ve got!

Elle’s last blog post..Random Thursday Thoughts: Guacamole, The Foodie Blogroll, and Today’s Tunes

6. joy says:

Thanks y’all…I’ll have to pass on the accolades to Mary Anne!

Ben — Thanks! Well, I’m taking it easy. I’m posting other people’s food. Haha. But yes, Mac and Cheese is one of those ‘simple’ foods yet it’s so tricky to get it right.

Ben — Thanks!

Patricia — Honestly, I haven’t made mac n’ cheese either!

Deborah — It is pure indulgence. I can’t even look at the ingredients. Haha.

Elle — Yup! It’s loaded with cheese. Well…not…yet! But Dan’s mom has been a wonderful ‘mom’ to me and yes, I’m very lucky to have her and I couldn’t be more thankful. :-)

7. Terry B says:

Neither of you smacked Dan’s mamma, did you? That would have been bad.

Terry B’s last blog post..Sweet fire: Chicken, chili paste and maple syrup?

8. Syd says:

Oh my goodness, just looking at the photo killed my diet ;) Awesome really, I must make this soon.

Syd’s last blog post..Taking Measures

9. arnold says:

This one I must try as soon as possible. I am afraid I have some pretty dumb questions again. I want to go get the ingredients for this recipe but I do not know what some of the ingredients are. I wish they would standardize the names of products worldwide. Please tell me what Colby Jack Blend is as well as Velveeta. Sorry I have to keep bothering you like this.

arnold’s last blog post..Optimizing graphics

10. Hillary says:

Hehe, looks so good! And I love the title, too funny.

Hillary’s last blog post..Top Chef Chicago Watch: Episode 3

11. motomike says:

arnold – “Colby Jack Blend” is a mild, typically marbled cheese that’s about equal parts Colby and Montery Jack. You could probably safely substitute one cup Colby and one cup Jack for the two cups of colby-jack.

Velveeta is a processed “cheese product” that’s (as far as I can tell) primarily congealed vegetable oil and cheese flavoring. It melts smoothly and is frequently used in yellow cheese dip recipes. The flavor is very similar to mass-market cheese-flavored crackers (e.g. “Cheez-it” brand).

HTH, HAND =)

12. joy says:

Terry B — HAHAHAH. No! Never! We’re benefiting from all her cooking. :-)

Syd — This couldn’t have been a better (worse) diet breaker. lol. When you want to indulge, this is IT.

Arnold — I’ll have to thank motomike for the answers to your questions. Hehe. Otherwise I wouldn’t have known how to explain them.

Hillary — Thank you. Haha…yeah, it’s not to be missed.

motomike — Thanks for the info! That’s new knowledge for me to file. Velveeta doesn’t sound as enticing now. Haha. I had to Google what those abbreviations mean…holy…I feel so old.

13. arnold says:

Thanks Motomike, I now know what to go and look for. I am sorry I am only getting back now but I ran into problems what with the new WordPress update and all. I will try this recipe as soon as possible. Joy, you will have to hire Motomike for the technical explanations, he certainly has a way with words.

arnold’s last blog post..Optimizing graphics

14. arnold says:

I gave it a try, a bit rich for the wastline but deeelicious! Thanks.

arnold’s last blog post..Cellular technology and road safety

15. Shieka says:

Omg! I made this as a side for Christmas dinner!! This Mac & cheese was a true “present” by itself!!! It was soooooo good!! This will be my go to recipe for Mac & cheese FOREVER!!! Thanks Ms. Thompson!!!!