Filed Under | dailies, photography, travel

Scenes from Seattle (Part I)

Pike Place Market is a very popular tourist spot in Seattle, that each time we mention that we’ve been to that city, we’re asked if we went there. This time we’ve finally trekked down to the famous Pike Place Market. Where do we even begin to show you the area, its quaint stores, restaurants and cafes, and the abundant market?

Here’s the street view from the corner of the fish stall where the vendors give everyone a “show” of tossing fish, and occasionally throwing a fake fish toy to viewers (which sends people screaming and gasping) for kicks.

Walking down to Pike Place, you’ll also see this from one of the streets. We found it hilarious. I’m sure it’s not intentional. Right?

Here’s the front of the market. There is a lot of fresh seafood to buy, and if you wish they can pack it up for you in airplane-approved packaging.

And what’s a trip there without seeing the first Starbucks that started all the evil weekly spending for a lot of people’s pockets?

There’s a trio singing right in front of the store, too.

More photos to come!

15 Responses to “Scenes from Seattle (Part I)”

1. Ben says:

We don’t have anything like that here in Columbus, and I really miss this kind of places. I’ll make sure to visit that market if I ever go to Seattle. Hehe

Ben’s last blog post..Side dish – My version of Spanakopita

Hope you’re having lots of Seattle coffee for all of us! ;)

Elle’s last blog post..It’s chilly! Let’s have chili! And some cornbread wouldn’t hurt, either.

3. katrina says:

My parents live in seattle, and I love going to pike place market. The lower floors are the best – not as many tourists down there. And theres the best comic book store I’ve ever seen hidden deep down in there.

I’ve been to that starbucks a few times, and the original logo with mermaid boobies always makes me chuckle.

katrina’s last blog post..TWD: Gooey Chocolate Cake

4. Hillary says:

I’m so jealous! I lovvve Seattle – glad you’re having a good time! :)

Hillary’s last blog post..Top Chef Chicago Watch: Episode #4

5. anna says:

Although that’s considered the first Starbucks, it’s not actually “where it all started”- the shop moved to Pike Place after opening elsewhere. I’m not sure exactly where it was to begin with- I’ve just heard this story from my mom every time we’re at Pike Place and she’s not cranky.

(To keep her uncranky- or to have a good visit to the market yourself, if you get back again, it helps to get seats at the Athenian quickly, not have a big crowd at the comic book store, and most of all, to get whatever the name of the Chinese pastries are that are the same name as the Chinese pastry shop that’s on street level. The deep fried things with sesame seeds all over the outside and red bean paste on the inside.)

6. Shravan says:

Thats really nice you’ve such places.. Here it’s so difficult to find them! :( and i love casinos so i liked that last photo of yours!!

7. I have always wanted to go to Seattle to check out Pike Place Fish Market. There was an episode on the Food Network featuring Bob Blumer of Glutton for Punishment. Looks like a great place to visit.

The Restaurant Blogger’s last blog post..Hard Work and Many Sacrifices

8. Jun & Lil says:

Great shots! Excellent post-photo work.

9. dan says:

Ben – It’s a great place to be! Go when it’s not too crowded though.

Elle – I’m sure Joy and her family drank up all the coffee they could muster. I’m a blended creme Starbucks fan :)

katrina – I don’t think I saw a comic shop on the lower floors but I would have loved to see it. I have a close-up shot of the logo that I’ll post later :)

Hillary – We’re having a great time! Thanks!

anna – hmm, interesting. I think I’ll look up the “true” location of the first store later.

The Restaurant Blogger – Good, so I wasn’t the only person who watched Glutten for Punishment! If you go, watch the guys slinging fish back and forth, always good for a quick laugh.

Jun & Lil – Thanks! We try! I hope you had as much fun as we did!

10. Maroa says:

Wow! You have a way of firing the travel bug in one’s system into action. Good stuff you’ve got here. I love the pics.

Maroa’s last blog post..Namibia – A Bountiful Harvest Awaits the Adventure Traveler

11. April says:

I’ve always wanted to visit Seattle, it looks like a great place. Thanks for sharing!

April’s last blog post..BBW Event – New York, NY- April 12, 2008

12. katy says:

my fiance and i were in seattle before leaving on a cruise to alaska this summer, and it pretty much convinced me that i was a west coast girl at heart. :-) i was wandering giddily through the farmer’s market while my fiance and his parents were staring at me, bewildered, because we weren’t going to *buy* anything, so why was i so excited to check out every single stall?? um, because there’s pretty much nothing i love more in the world, duh!

katy’s last blog post..Sausage and Egg Sandwich

13. Gregorio says:

I lived in Seattle awhile back and I loved The pike street market place.Not just for the fish market,but all the other little stores and cafes you can find there.If you get a chance it’s a real must see.Of course you can’t forget Pioneer Square either.Nice post.I gotta get back.

Gregorio’s last blog post..CAPTIVITY

14. dan says:

Maroa – Thanks! Seattle was gorgeous when we were there, it was the perfect time for snapping pictures!

April – We could have easily spent the afternoon where we were, visit when you can, especially this time of year.

katy – Joy likes to tell everyone that I love to shop too, but sometimes it does stink when you don’t really buy anything when you’re there. We did pick up a few things while we were there though.

Gregorio – Where is pioneer Square? What kind of things can you do there?

15. I got to go to Seattle last year and this was one stop I made sure to make. (As a foodie, it’s a DEFINITE MUST!!) Just went to Vancouver, BC, this February and got to check out Granville Island market too. I’m still having dreams about the beautiful salmon and tuna and crab and…and….*drool*

Rachel Supinger’s last blog post..Just a little rant