I’m here in Phoenix all by myself until the end of the month, so that means I need to feed myself. The first thing I was thinking of was a spicy chicken dish and noodles. Instead of trying to find a real receipe, I thought I’d try making something of my own. You may try this recipe if you want, but I assure you, I have some warnings.
I had no real recipe to follow nor did I have a direction for making what I did. I just did where my heart took me in the kitchen. My original idea was to try a knock-off Orange Chicken but I did not have several of the key ingredients to make it.
Here are the ingredients and the preparation from the concoction:
Hungry Man’s Dinner: Spicy Sesame Chicken with Linguine
[ Download the PDF recipe ]
- 1 1/2 lb Chicken breast, chopped into pieces or strips, depending on preference
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 T Cayenne Pepper
- 1 T Cumin
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp coriander seed
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp powdered ginger
- 1 egg
- Sesame Oil
- Olive Oil
- 1/2 lb. Linguine
1. Prepare Linguine to 1 minute before al dente and drain.
2. Break the egg in a small bowl and beat lightly, add some olive oil to the mix while beating.
3. In a larger bowl, mix the flour and remaining spices until well combined. You may use a blender if you like, but I used a fork and hit it hard.
4. Heat some sesame & olive oil in a wok or frying pan.
5. place the chicken into the egg wash and cover completely.
6. Dredge the chicken into flour mix, covering completely, placing on a separate plate while the oil heats.
7. When the oil is ready, drop the chicken into the oil a little bit at a time and brown.
8. Take the linguine that you have drained and toss with the chicken.
9. Complete the browning of the chicken with the linguine, adding more oil if necessary (I needed just a tablespoon more).
Here’s the play-by-play: