Filed Under | dailies

Fry-Baked Chicken

Fried Chicken. I spent a good part of the first decade of my life eating it. If you asked me when I was 8 what my favorite food was, I’d tell you it’s Fried Chicken. A little more of it and would have clucked my way into puberty.

I grew up with fried chicken marinated in soy sauce and calamansi (a citrus fruit that is oftentimes substituted with lemon). It tastes different than lemon and there’s no getting around to it in traditional Filipino recipe. It’s very hard to find these one inch citrus rounds in North America. And if at all you do, you’d have to pay a hefty price for them. [It's worth it for me -- if I can only find it!] So when I really want the fried chicken I grew up with, I’d have to just imagine it. And it’s hard!

I tried making a different version with ingredients I have and see how it would go. Just to try…hoping, hoping…

Fry-Baked Chicken

I marinated skinless breast pieces with the bones intact in lemon juice, teriyaki sauce, cayenne pepper, and fresh ground pepper for half an hour. Afterward they had undergone 2 flour coatings: The first is blended with salt and pepper; and the second with salt and cayenne pepper, with a dip in beaten egg in between.

It was fried to brown then baked for 10 minutes, turned halfway through the time.

It had more (and different) ingredients than my childhood recipe, but it tasted so close to how I wanted it with just a li’l bite from the cayenne. It was awesome. And the coating was finger-lickin’ good. I ate two big pieces!

Yummy!

Taste evokes all sorts of memories, just like the sight, smell, or feel of something. It’s knowing exactly how your grandma’s paella tastes like, or your mother’s fruit tarts, or your dad’s special steak rub. You’re in another place in another time with just one bite. And I…I was transported back to when I had to have a pillow on the chair so I can reach the table and eat my fried chicken with white rice because nothing else was good enough to waste my appetite on. I’m just glad to have the good taste of this back in my life (very shallow, eh?) and be able to replicate it again, and again, and again.

If you’d like to try it, here’s the recipe:

Fry-Baked Chicken

Ingredients:

• 4 skinless chicken breasts with bone
  • juice of half a lemon
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, divided
  • 3 tbsp teriyaki sauce
  • 1/4 cup and 3 tbsp flour
  • 2 eggs, beaten in a shallow bowl
  • salt
  • fresh ground pepper

Preparation:

1. Marinate chicken breasts in lemon juice, 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, teriyaki sauce and fresh ground pepper. Poke the meat with the fork several times and massage the marinade into the punctured meat for a couple of minutes. Cover in a bowl and leave for half an hour or more.

2. Mix your flour dredges in two separate wide and shallow bowls: (Dredge #1) 3 tbsp flour, 1/4 tsp salt, fresh ground pepper; (Dregdge #2) 1/4 cup flour, 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper.

3. Place your pan in medium heat with enough vegetable oil to coat the bottom. Make sure oil is very hot before frying.

4. Preheat your oven to 300ºF.

5. Drain chicken to get rid of excess marinade. Dredge and dip chicken pieces individually in this order: Dredge #1, tap excess flour. Dip in beaten egg. Dredge #2, tap excess flour.

6. Fry for 4 minutes each side and place on an oven safe dish.

7. Bake chicken for 10 minutes, turning it halfway.

8. Take it out and devour warm on its own or with freshly cooked rice. :-)

17 Responses to “Fry-Baked Chicken”

1. Trish says:

This looks delicious! I may back off on the hot spices a bit since we don’t like really hot (seasoned) food but the technique looks interesting and the end result – yum!

Trish

2. Ben says:

Hmmmm fried chicken was one of my favorite dishes when I was a kid, too. But we seldom ate it. When my mom made it (or we went to KFC) it was a very special occasion and we kids would go crazy.

Bens last blog post..A Delicious Cannelloni Disaster

3. Gorgeous-looking skin on that piece of breast! I can’t wait to bite into that one and feel it crackle beneath my teeth.

[eatingclub] vancouver || jss last blog post..Stuffed Peppers (Lamb and Rice)

4. Sandy says:

Did you just use teriyaki from a bottle? I can never find one that tastes like the REAL thing.

Sandys last blog post..sunday foodie block

5. amy says:

that looks delicious! mm. thanks for the recipe!

amys last blog post..What’s the Proper Etiquette?

Joy, that looks freaking fabulous! I love love love fried chicken, and the flavors you added sound great!

YUM! I do have a soft spot for fried chicken with acid undertones– it’s just so Filipino, isn’t it? I gotta try making some someday! (We rarely fry chicken these days, I dunno why… Maybe we’ve gotten used to The Bucket.)

Manggys last blog post..Barbecue Chicken Pizza

8. Jen says:

I was curious about the calamansi when I saw the wikipedia link – they looked a lot like kumquats; and what do you know…
    Kumquats readily hybridise with other members of the genus Citrus and with the closely related Poncirus. These hybrids are known as Citrofortunella; examples include the limequat, orangequat, and calamondin.”

Do you know if they taste similar? If they did, I wish I could post you some, because my parents have a kumquat tree that is laden with fruit practically year round. (So much for quarantine laws though!).

Jens last blog post..Orange soup & orange porridge

9. Lori says:

This looks so crispy and delicious, I also like some kick in my chicken!

Loris last blog post..Pumpkin Cinnamon Nut Rolls

10. Tony says:

Awesome, Awesome looking chicken !

11. joy says:

Trish — Thanks! I’m not a big fan of too spicy foods either. But I keep trying to add some hot spices little by little because they make some dishes a lot better. I’m thinking–I’ve been missing all this all my life!

Ben — KFC. I still eat that at an embarrassing rate these days. ahahaha. Love it. In the Philippines there’s also the food chain called Jollibee that’s so good, that people bring it in lunch boxes out of the Philippines to the US.

[eatingclub] — It was so good, wish you could have some.

Sandy — Yeah. I just used it to give the chicken its saltiness (and not really a teriyaki flavor. I haven’t found anything that’s close to the real thing.

amy — thanks! you’re welcome.

Elle — Thank you! I’m growing to love adding spicy flavors. :)

Manggy — You got it. It’s so Filipino to have the acid and salty flavors. I’d trade my fried chicken for an unlimited supply of chicken inasal, though. Ugh…craving again!

Jen — Wow. Thanks for all that info. I will check out kumquats at Whole Foods and see if they taste similar. If they do, I might cry out of happiness! LOL.

Tony — Thanks!

12. farida says:

Joy, this looks so delicious! I love fried or baked chicken, and this recipe is something I would really love to try. Printing it:) The pictures make me hungry…

13. this looks wonderful!

judy haley (coffeejitters)s last blog post..The Bite of Seattle

14. joy says:

Farida — Thank you! Hope you enjoy it.

Judy Haley — Thanks! :)

15. Emily says:

This chicken looks so much more delicious than regular fried chicken!

Emilys last blog post..Sticky Balsamic Chicken

1. [...] miss a post! Subscribe via RSS or Subscribe via EMAIL. My most favorite food as a child right after fried chicken, was fried tilapia. When I didn’t know what to eat or our maids didn’t know what to [...]