Almond Butter Banana Bread with Cinnamon Crumble Topping
I like banana bread and I often have it with hot chocolate when I order my poison [i.e. dark hot chocolate from Blenz]. I also like coffee cake when I need that extra sugar rush. When I saw this recipe and the description said that it’s a cross between a banana bread and coffee cake…I heard ding-ding-ding in my head.
Patience is not the strongest suit in my cards, that’s for sure. When I see something I want, I get it. If I want to accomplish something, I get it done. Then I just sit back and admire my handiwork with all that extra time. When faced with a must-cook recipe, I don’t waste time either. I just make it!
This life ‘formula’ doesn’t always work out perfectly. Like when I made these, I accidentally ate the 3rd banana that was to complete this recipe’s 1 cup of mashed bananas. Ooops! But I had to have banana bread right that instant so I improvised. I thought of something equally thick and mushy to add: almond butter. I don’t usually have almond butter in my cooking arsenal, but my recent diet changes due to my not-so-stellar health has brought a jar of it in the kitchen. It’s not sweet at all and it definitely covers the thickness/richness factor. I was also too excited to notice that instead of using sugar as the original recipe called for, I used golden yellow one. Oops, again. At that point, I just had to go with the flow and see how it goes. I was just hoping it was edible.
It wasn’t just edible. It was wonderful!
It was good fresh. After I let it sit overnight on the counter, it was perfect. The bread became a little moist (but not too much so it’s perfect for those who dislike super moist banana bread), a little packed…and oh my god the crumble topping is meant to be saved for last.
It was gone in a couple of days. I gave some to friends and my parents had the privilege of devouring them, and taking some on their road trip. The ‘mistakes’ were a success!!! Awesome. You better try it. It could actually be healthy, too…but don’t quote me on that.
Here’s the recipe:
• 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
• 1 cup plus golden yellow sugar (packed)
• 2 tablespoons golden brown sugar (the loose, grainy variety)
• 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 3/4 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 medium)
• 1/4 cup almond butter
• 2 large eggs
• 1/2 cup vegetable oil
• 1/4 cup honey
• 1/4 cup water
• 2 1/2 tablespoons (packed) golden brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour 9x5x3-inch metal baking pan. Whisk 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 cup golden yellow sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl.
2. Whisk mashed banana, almond butter, eggs, vegetable oil, honey and water in large bowl until smooth. Add dry ingredients; stir to blend.
3. Transfer batter to pan. Mix 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and brown sugar; sprinkle over batter.
4. Bake bread until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Cool bread in pan 30 minutes. Turn pan on its side; slide out bread, being careful not to dislodge topping. Turn bread right side up and cool completely.