Kitchen Talk

A friend and I recently had a chat about kitchen appliances and tools, what our essentials are and which are “nice to have” but would just end up in the dark corners of the drawers, and what we still “wish” for. As we grow older, it’s not just the clothes and shoes we couldn’t get enough of — domesticity has intruded our shopping domain for sure.

We both agreed that there are two things we keep thinking of needing and buying: a mandolin and a timer. I know what you’re thinking: What, you don’t have a timer?! Isn’t it silly? I rely on the stove timer. We have a toaster oven, a digital thermometer, digital scale, ice cream maker, but no, not a timer. Have I lost you already? Please don’t shut me out. Haha.

As our conversation progressed into a more elaborate list of things that are more for wants than needs, I suddenly remembered one of the thing that we’ve kept putting off to buy: the (big) food processor [I love that the site explains the difference between a blender and a food processor]. Sigh. Always more stuff, isn’t it?

Just curious — What’s currently on your kitchen appliance/gadget/tool wishlist?

You’re more than free to tell me you don’t have a timer, too. :-D

25 Responses to “Kitchen Talk”

1. Syd says:

I’ve also considered the mandolin. I want a scale and a thermometer. I got my first dutch oven for Christmas and I love it. I have a timer and use it for lots of activities even those not related to cooking (like cleaning, and work breaks).

The scale really helped with our baking, and the thermometer for the steaks, which Dan LOVES. Nice Christmas loot you got! We have yet to invest on a dutch oven. Great idea for the timer. I use my phone timer for work breaks because I get too carried away with stuff. :)

2. Elocin says:

I have a mandolin. I’ve used it twice. It spends most of its life gathering dust. I want an ice cream maker and I need new digital scales as my old one is exactly that– OLD and unreliable. As far as dreaming of luxury things…a few Le Creuset pieces, especially a tagine! And a well-balanced Santoku knife– something like the Ken Onion or Wusthof brands. I’ve got a couple of knives that I love but I long for a REALLY nice knife.

That’s one of the things I’m afraid of — what if the mandolin would just collect dust? Argh. We only have a Wusthof chef’s knife and it’s served us really well, it’s definitely worth it. The Le Creuset pieces are way over the budget right now. Hehe.

3. Metroknow says:

A mandolin is definitely at the top of our list. We’d also like a larger ceramic skillet, and I want a Rancilio Sylvia espresso maker. Now that I think about it, a toaster oven is right up there too. Oh, how deprived we are! :)

I haven’t even heard of a ceramic skillet! Only knives. Haha. The toaster oven has been so useful for us, especially for reheating pizza. The more I think about it, the more deprived I feel! LOL.

4. Tiffany says:

Someday I would like to get a kitchenaid mixer. Since I only bake a few times a year, it doesn’t make sense to make that kind of investment. But for now, being a coffee addict, I’m quite content with the Starbucks Barista and the Bodum Mocca Espresso. The bodum does not make coffee quite as hot though. Do you have any suggestions regarding kitchen tools must haves including recommended brands? Thanks!

I actually got the kitchenaid stand mixer as a gift and it is the bigger, prof one…I try to use it as much, because I feel so guilty not to! Haha. A few things that come to mind is a good chef’s knife — the Wustoff is what we have. I haven’t tried other brands, but I’ve heard good things about the Global brand. For baking, the Silpat silicone non-stick mat and the insulated cookie sheet from Crate & Barrel, both of which have been invaluable to baking. Calphalon stainless steel pans. Silicone heat-safe spatulas. :) That’s all I can think of right now. :)

5. amy says:

i’m quite sure i couldn’t live without my food processor! but what i’d really love to have now is a bosch mixer to replace my kitchenaid. but i suppose i’m lucky to have a mixer at all. aren’t gadgets great?

amys last blog post..Let’s Get Real

Are you talking about the Bosch compact mixer? I hate that they come up with new gadgets…more things for us to buy! Haha.

6. Stephanie says:

I want a mandolin and a larger food processor (mine isn’t a mini but it is not full sized either) for sure. A digital thermometer would be really great and a better espresso maker too. There is more I am sure for that list but it is late and I am tired!

Stephanies last blog post..Going Back to High School?

7. Mandolin, cast iron skillet and immersion blender. Maybe Santa will grant these wishes by December!

The Duo Dishess last blog post..The Battle of the Oils

8. Nate says:

We have the remote probe thermometer, the Kitchen Aid and the digital scale. No timer, though.

I wish I had an ice cream maker. Maybe I can “permanently borrow” our friends’ one!

Nates last blog post..Foodbuzz 24, 24, 24: Chinese New Year Cioppino Hot Pot

9. Lisa says:

pasta machine … waffle iron

I have a timer. Some people call it a microwave.

Lisas last blog post..First Ever "Be Just Like Me for Free" Giveaway!

Pasta machine is on my list, too. :) We have the waffle iron and it’s such a nice treat to have fresh waffles for breakfast on the weekends. Haha…you’re funny. Timer. :p

10. Emily says:

Oh my! Where do I start?!
    I really *really* want a turquoise Kitchen Aid Artisan. With all the trimmings. Except we’re moving country and don’t have a base so it’s really out of the question right now.
    I think it’s funny how sometimes I pick up a magazine and buy it with no second guesses, but it took me months to finally take a microplane grater to the counter! I will never regret doing it though. I used to zest with one of those little things and have little grazes on my hands. But no longer! I zest away happily now.
    ….Not to worry with your stove timer, I use my cell phone stop watch! :)

Emilys last blog post..Another Way

Haha, silly girl! I love the turquoise one, too, but it’s not that easy to find! I have a black one, though. It gets dirty easily, but I still love it. Yeah, it’s definitely not a good time to get that heave kitchenaid stand mixer if you’re moving. I couldn’t even get mine (the prof one is heavier!) out of the box.

We need a microplane, too. Keep putting that one off, like you did! I don’t know why!

haha…I feel better now. :D

Always and forever, a KitchenAid stand mixer :(

Manggys last blog post..Cherry Clafoutis

12. TR Hughes says:

I have a mandolin and although I do not use it often…there is simply nothing that can take the place of a really good mandolin. Like this weekend I plan on making what I call “cucumber sushi”… I simply slice very thin, long slices of seedless cucumber using the mandolin and use the cucumber instead of seaweed wrap. The thing that I keep buying and have like 5 of is a micro plane…I keep thinking I don’t have one and then I figure out that I have several once I’m back home. Do have a suggestion though…my new little espresso machine is a gem…wrote a post about it…I have been using it nonstop. (You can read the article and see a cute picture of it…linked below here.)

Great site by the way…just stumbled on it today. Will be back!

13. i want a thermometer… candy thermometer and the one Alton Brown always use in his show Good Eats (it has a rod you can stick into the meat) :D

i don’t have a timer too. i usually just wing it lol!

1. [...] Regarding our previous post, Kitchen Talk (which should have been Kitchen Wants, really), I’m so proud of you foodies for letting your [...]