Kitchen Talk

FacebookTwitterGoogle+Share

A friend and I recently had a chat about kitchen appliances and tools, what our essentials are and which are “nice to have” but would just end up in the dark corners of the drawers, and what we still “wish” for. As we grow older, it’s not just the clothes and shoes we couldn’t get enough of — domesticity has intruded our shopping domain for sure.

We both agreed that there are two things we keep thinking of needing and buying: a mandolin and a timer. I know what you’re thinking: What, you don’t have a timer?! Isn’t it silly? I rely on the stove timer. We have a toaster oven, a digital thermometer, digital scale, ice cream maker, but no, not a timer. Have I lost you already? Please don’t shut me out. Haha.

As our conversation progressed into a more elaborate list of things that are more for wants than needs, I suddenly remembered one of the thing that we’ve kept putting off to buy: the (big) food processor [I love that the site explains the difference between a blender and a food processor]. Sigh. Always more stuff, isn’t it?

Just curious — What’s currently on your kitchen appliance/gadget/tool wishlist?

You’re more than free to tell me you don’t have a timer, too. :-D

Related Posts with Thumbnails

25 Comments

• January 24, 2009 12:46 pm

I’ve also considered the mandolin. I want a scale and a thermometer. I got my first dutch oven for Christmas and I love it. I have a timer and use it for lots of activities even those not related to cooking (like cleaning, and work breaks).

• joy
      January 24, 2009 1:43 pm

The scale really helped with our baking, and the thermometer for the steaks, which Dan LOVES. Nice Christmas loot you got! We have yet to invest on a dutch oven. Great idea for the timer. I use my phone timer for work breaks because I get too carried away with stuff. :)

• Elocin
    January 24, 2009 6:44 pm

I have a mandolin. I’ve used it twice. It spends most of its life gathering dust. I want an ice cream maker and I need new digital scales as my old one is exactly that– OLD and unreliable. As far as dreaming of luxury things…a few Le Creuset pieces, especially a tagine! And a well-balanced Santoku knife– something like the Ken Onion or Wusthof brands. I’ve got a couple of knives that I love but I long for a REALLY nice knife.

• joy
      January 25, 2009 3:01 pm

That’s one of the things I’m afraid of — what if the mandolin would just collect dust? Argh. We only have a Wusthof chef’s knife and it’s served us really well, it’s definitely worth it. The Le Creuset pieces are way over the budget right now. Hehe.

• January 25, 2009 8:30 am

A mandolin is definitely at the top of our list. We’d also like a larger ceramic skillet, and I want a Rancilio Sylvia espresso maker. Now that I think about it, a toaster oven is right up there too. Oh, how deprived we are! :)

• joy
      January 25, 2009 3:03 pm

I haven’t even heard of a ceramic skillet! Only knives. Haha. The toaster oven has been so useful for us, especially for reheating pizza. The more I think about it, the more deprived I feel! LOL.

• Tiffany
    January 25, 2009 8:01 pm

Someday I would like to get a kitchenaid mixer. Since I only bake a few times a year, it doesn’t make sense to make that kind of investment. But for now, being a coffee addict, I’m quite content with the Starbucks Barista and the Bodum Mocca Espresso. The bodum does not make coffee quite as hot though. Do you have any suggestions regarding kitchen tools must haves including recommended brands? Thanks!

• joy
      January 25, 2009 11:25 pm

I actually got the kitchenaid stand mixer as a gift and it is the bigger, prof one…I try to use it as much, because I feel so guilty not to! Haha. A few things that come to mind is a good chef’s knife — the Wustoff is what we have. I haven’t tried other brands, but I’ve heard good things about the Global brand. For baking, the Silpat silicone non-stick mat and the insulated cookie sheet from Crate & Barrel, both of which have been invaluable to baking. Calphalon stainless steel pans. Silicone heat-safe spatulas. :) That’s all I can think of right now. :)

• January 25, 2009 8:30 pm

i’m quite sure i couldn’t live without my food processor! but what i’d really love to have now is a bosch mixer to replace my kitchenaid. but i suppose i’m lucky to have a mixer at all. aren’t gadgets great?

amys last blog post..Let’s Get Real

• joy
      January 25, 2009 11:27 pm

Are you talking about the Bosch compact mixer? I hate that they come up with new gadgets…more things for us to buy! Haha.

• January 25, 2009 11:12 pm

I want a mandolin and a larger food processor (mine isn’t a mini but it is not full sized either) for sure. A digital thermometer would be really great and a better espresso maker too. There is more I am sure for that list but it is late and I am tired!

Stephanies last blog post..Going Back to High School?

• joy
      January 25, 2009 11:37 pm

Haha, I know…the list will just go on and on once you actually think of it.

• January 26, 2009 9:18 am

Mandolin, cast iron skillet and immersion blender. Maybe Santa will grant these wishes by December!

The Duo Dishess last blog post..The Battle of the Oils

• joy
      January 26, 2009 6:36 pm

I forgot about the immersion blender! Wanting that, too. Haha. Oh no…more stuff.

• January 26, 2009 2:51 pm

We have the remote probe thermometer, the Kitchen Aid and the digital scale. No timer, though.

I wish I had an ice cream maker. Maybe I can “permanently borrow” our friends’ one!

Nates last blog post..Foodbuzz 24, 24, 24: Chinese New Year Cioppino Hot Pot

• joy
      January 26, 2009 6:37 pm

Do I know you? Someone I know is out to get a lifetime loan on another friend’s ice cream maker, too. Hehehe. :p

• January 27, 2009 6:48 pm

pasta machine … waffle iron

I have a timer. Some people call it a microwave.

Lisas last blog post..First Ever "Be Just Like Me for Free" Giveaway!

• joy
      January 28, 2009 12:15 am

Pasta machine is on my list, too. :) We have the waffle iron and it’s such a nice treat to have fresh waffles for breakfast on the weekends. Haha…you’re funny. Timer. :p

• January 27, 2009 11:40 pm

Oh my! Where do I start?!
    I really *really* want a turquoise Kitchen Aid Artisan. With all the trimmings. Except we’re moving country and don’t have a base so it’s really out of the question right now.
    I think it’s funny how sometimes I pick up a magazine and buy it with no second guesses, but it took me months to finally take a microplane grater to the counter! I will never regret doing it though. I used to zest with one of those little things and have little grazes on my hands. But no longer! I zest away happily now.
    ….Not to worry with your stove timer, I use my cell phone stop watch! :)

Emilys last blog post..Another Way

• joy
      January 28, 2009 8:01 pm

Haha, silly girl! I love the turquoise one, too, but it’s not that easy to find! I have a black one, though. It gets dirty easily, but I still love it. Yeah, it’s definitely not a good time to get that heave kitchenaid stand mixer if you’re moving. I couldn’t even get mine (the prof one is heavier!) out of the box.

We need a microplane, too. Keep putting that one off, like you did! I don’t know why!

haha…I feel better now. :D

• January 28, 2009 4:23 pm

Always and forever, a KitchenAid stand mixer :(

Manggys last blog post..Cherry Clafoutis

• joy
      January 28, 2009 8:03 pm

Awww….soon!

• February 10, 2009 5:30 pm

I have a mandolin and although I do not use it often…there is simply nothing that can take the place of a really good mandolin. Like this weekend I plan on making what I call “cucumber sushi”… I simply slice very thin, long slices of seedless cucumber using the mandolin and use the cucumber instead of seaweed wrap. The thing that I keep buying and have like 5 of is a micro plane…I keep thinking I don’t have one and then I figure out that I have several once I’m back home. Do have a suggestion though…my new little espresso machine is a gem…wrote a post about it…I have been using it nonstop. (You can read the article and see a cute picture of it…linked below here.)

Great site by the way…just stumbled on it today. Will be back!

• July 22, 2009 6:41 pm

i want a thermometer… candy thermometer and the one Alton Brown always use in his show Good Eats (it has a rod you can stick into the meat) :D

i don’t have a timer too. i usually just wing it lol!