Strawberry Fro-Yo

First things first:

BlogHer Food 09

We’re going to BlogHer Food in SF this September! It will be the first blogging event we’ll go to, so we’re very excited. See you there? :)

Last weekend, the sun shone and it was beginning to get too hot for comfort in the house that there’s really no other thing I’d rather make with Fage yogurt** than strawberry fro-yo. I may be the most boring and redundant frozen yogurt maker, because I’ve posted about the same (yawn) flavor twice last year and coincidentally, around the same time, too! Can you blame me? I really truly believe that with a 2-cup tub of Fage, strawberries, some sort of sweetener and an ice cream maker, it’s HARD to get it wrong.

After I made this, just to spite me, you know what the weather gods gave us? Gray skies, rain (downpour!), aaand sunshine with hail. Snow would have completed the whole package, but that’s enough, thanks. I know you–yes, you Weather Guy up there!–made your point that Vancouverites can’t rejoice over good weather that much, but we still love it!

For the ‘recipe’, I just relied on my own ratio of:

one container of Fage : (maximum of) one Fage container of other liquids

[Speaking of ratios, I'll be talking about Michael Ruhlman's book called Ratio: The Simple Codes Behind the Craft of Everyday Cooking this weekend. In a gist: I highly recommend it so go grab a copy!]

First, I made a simple syrup by heating 1/3 cup sugar and 1/3 cup water, then added about 1 1/3 cup of strawberry puree***, 2 tablespoons honey, and a teaspoon of lemon juice and cooked it until it looked like this:

Strawberry Fro-Yo

I cooled it in the fridge for 30 minutes before blending all the cold ingredients with a hand mixer in a big bowl:  yogurt, sweetened strawberry puree, and 2 tablespoons of half and half light cream. Put it in your ice cream maker and churn it for 30-35 minutes, or until thick enough. Pour in a freezer-safe container.

One advantage of having a mother who shops for all sorts of things are finds like the thick metal fresh ice cream container that is so darn cute.

Strawberry Fro-Yo

Freezing and letting the frozen yogurt ‘rest’ overnight is best for flavor and texture.

Strawberry Fro-Yo

I couldn’t wait to eat it the next day. No suave scooping here; it was more like painful excavation of hard rock because I didn’t thaw it enough. I just took a few shots and devoured my sweet reward, despite of the soup it turned into.

Strawberry Fro-Yo

Not a problem, I love ice cream soup!

– – – – – – – – –

** After having used the different fat percentages of Fage, the 2% is still the best for fro-yo, in my opinion.

*** I didn’t strain the seeds out this time. I like the ‘character’ it adds to the ice cream. I don’t mind the seeds at all, but you can remove it if you like.

25 Responses to “Strawberry Fro-Yo”

1. deeba says:

Just gorgeous….am in love with your fro yo & with the beautiful container your mum bought. No Fage here, but can substitute…& yes, seeds to add a distinctly yummy character to frozen strawberry desserts!

Deeba’s last blog post..Apricot Cherry Mini Crumbles

2. Awesome! That looks fresh and just loving the color! It’s autumn here in Sydney and not many strawberries around, alas! First time I heard of Fage too :-)

Sneh | Gel’s Kitchens last blog post..Rose Petal And Coconut Fudge

Thanks! Try this with the fruits in season there. I actually can’t find Fage here in Vancouver, Canada. Mine came all the way from Washington. It’s the only yogurt I trust for frozen yogurt.

3. Kristina says:

Yum! Have you ever made FroYo with whole milk yogurt? It should stay softer because of the fat content. But then I always think, “what’s the point?” With all that fat, you might as well make ice cream (and I do). My previous frozen yogurt experiments have been with non-fat, so I will try the 2% next time.

Kristinas last blog post..Pizza with Squash Blossoms, Fresh Mozzarella, Pesto and Prosciutto (w/Pizza Dough Recipe)

Yes, we have. What’s interesting is that we find the whole milk yogurt’s taste too tart and too prominent that we didn’t enjoy the flavored frozen yogurt that much, but it did freeze to the point where we needed to leave it on the counter for a few minutes to let it soften up a bit. I find that we have to do it even with regular ice cream. Maybe we have the freezer too high? I keep it high to have the ice cream maker bowl ready all the time. I know, we thought the same thing–might as well go low-fat because it seems pointless. Also, we tried the 0% but it was sour, too and lacked the creaminess we wanted. Sounds so picky, eh? :D

I mean, we keep the freezer temp too low. Haha.

4. SB's Bea says:

yum! I usually only make ice cream. Must try fro-yo. :)

SB’s Beas last blog post..Keep It Simple, Stupid

We only tried ice cream, but I honestly almost couldn’t eat it because I knew just how much cream went in there, so we switched to fro-yo. :)

5. leena! says:

What a great idea! I always make ice cream and sorbets, but yogurt never really occurred to me. Where in the world did you get that adorable container for the fro-yo? SO CUTE. Also–try putting a tablespoon of vodka (flavored works well) or other relatively flavorless hard liquor in your fro-yo. Hard liquor doesn’t freeze, and it helps keep my ice cream and sorbet soft and scoopable.

leena!s last blog post..Leena Travels & Eats: Florida & Cari’s Wedding

Fro-yo is now my favorite cold dessert. Love it. I can still have the creaminess with less fat. I love spiked sorbets, though. Haha. I will have to ask my mom where she got it. I found one on Amazon but it had a silly decoration on the cover, such a turn off. I will try vodka next time — I’ll sign up for any alcohol. HEhehe.

I am totally in love with the container too, you should raffle one if you get another (assuming you don’t wanna keep it for yourself, lol), I’m sure everyone in blogland will be all over it!
    Of course, I am also in love with the yogurt– beautiful! :)

Right, it’s so cute. I will raffle one when I find it. But it would be a b*tch to mail because of the weight! One container is enough for me. LOL…pahabol sa yogurt. Hahaha.

7. Alta says:

Yummy! I have an ice cream maker attachment coming in the mail (a rebate that came with my KitchenAid mixer!) and I can’t wait for it! I want to make ice cream or frozen yogurt NOW!!!

Altas last blog post..Chipotle Chicken Tortilla Soup

Hey, I have the ice cream maker attachment as a rebate item, too! Better use it as soon as you get it. I’m in love with it. I like that it has a bigger capacity than my Cuisinart ice cream maker.

8. Maria says:

I can’t wait to make this one! And I will be at Blogher! I can’t wait to meet you!

Marias last blog post..Rhubarb Apple Cinnamon Muffins

Let me know if you try it! I’ll see you in September! :) We need to set up a get together for us Tweeps before the conference. :p Are you going to be in town the day before?

9. Ben says:

Oh yeah! Summer’s in the air and I am ready for this cold treats! I wish mine looked like yours :(

Bens last blog post..Test

10. Dragon says:

I love the pretty pink colour. :)

11. Rachel says:

that looks amazing! I want some!

Rachels last blog post..sweet little emery | spokane wa newborn photographer

12. Esi says:

Yummm, even with the rock hardness I would find a way to devour it.
    .-= Esi´s last blog ..Cherry Tomato and Arugula Salad =-.

13. Oho that looks fantastic! If only I was getting the hot weather to go along with it!

1. [...] Summer Strawberry Fro-Yo or Honey Peach Fro-Yo will beat the heat, the ice cream craving and that stupid weight-loss diet. Eat with little guilt. Savor it. [...]