Raspberry and Rainier Cherry Strudel

FacebookTwitterGoogle+Share

Whew…last minute!

I had my Daring Bakers challenge in my to-do list last weekend but there was a slight change in plans. What can you do, eh?

So last night, after making a dinner of tuna beet salad with homemade mayo (because I ran out!) and already invested on a lot of elbow grease for that mayo, I stretched the dough for the strudel:

Strudel dough

And let me tell you now that it was a lot of work and it tested my patience. After a while of gently coaxing the dough to stretch…stretch a little more…go on…I almost went into this Zen-like phase of going around the dough to stretch it. It was very meditative until I tore my first teeny hole.  Have I told you before that I’m a perfectionist? After that I got too cautious and I guess that made my dough not as thin as it should be, but I swear I can see the threads of my cotton fabric at the bottom very clearly.

These delicious Rainier cherries from the Granville Island market made it into the strudel:

Rainier cherries

And so did the raspberries I got there, too. I added a tiny bit of dried cranberries to soak up the extra juice from the raspberries. I’m not going to admit that I was eating while preparing them. Mmm.

Raspberry and Rainier Cherry Strudel

I rolled it and slathered it with butter. Perhaps too much butter, I know. But one cannot have enough of it!

Raspberry and Rainier Cherry Strudel

After about 37 minutes, I took out the strudel and waited for another half hour before slicing. It kept falling apart while I sliced it, but it did taste good!

It’s not the most photogenic (cooked) dish on earth and I wish I could give you a bite to make it better. Next time I think I’ll use white sugar instead of my trying-to-be-healthy choice of raw sugar to make it less dark. What do you think? Perhaps the raspberries were a bad idea because they become goo. I don’t know…but it sure was yummy.

Raspberry and Rainier Cherry Strudel

I’ll post the recipe tomorrow!

– – – – – – – – –

The May Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Linda of make life sweeter! and Courtney of Coco Cooks. They chose Apple Strudel from the recipe book Kaffeehaus: Exquisite Desserts from the Classic Cafés of Vienna, Budapest and Prague by Rick Rodgers. — Many thanks to Courtney and Linda for the challenge. It was indeed a challenge! :D

Related Posts with Thumbnails

17 Comments

• May 27, 2009 8:12 pm

Looks good! Nice job on the challenge! I am hungry now, I better go to bed:)

Marias last blog post..Baked Penne Pasta with Italian Sausage

• joy
      May 28, 2009 10:19 pm

Thanks so much hun! :) This is my curse, I go to Tastespotting before bed and then I get hungry!

• May 27, 2009 8:26 pm

WOW – it looks fantastic!! And yes, one can NEVER go wrong with to much butter! I love strudel and I love anything with cherries. I never bake with them because of the pitting. Maybe I better check to see if Williams has one of those dandy pitters and start pitting!

Great job completely this challenge!!

xx

~ D

Chez USs last blog post..The Incredible Edible Hard Boiled Egg: How to hard boil an egg

• joy
      May 28, 2009 10:21 pm

Thanks girlie! Love love butter. :) I individually sliced through and pitted each cherry. Labor of freakin’ love! I’m sure W-S has those pitters, if not, Sur La Table, would. I usually find the nifty tools there. :)

• May 27, 2009 8:45 pm

Nice job and good for you for having the patience to roll out that dough. Not sure if I could have done it. ;-) I do love a good strudel though, so I might just have to give it a go someday.

Kristinas last blog post..Easy Tuesday Dinner; Tofu Stir-Fry

• joy
      May 28, 2009 10:23 pm

Thank you! Stretching the dough was a pain, I could still remember it. I don’t think I’ll make the dough again from scratch unless I have a spare table that I can go around all sides to stretch.

• May 27, 2009 10:05 pm

I did cherries too so I think it looks delicious, especially with the raw sugar. Plus your rolling was pretty awesome! (I had trouble with that part)

Esis last blog post..Daring Bakers: Strudel

• joy
      May 28, 2009 10:24 pm

Thanks Esi! I’ve never baked with cherries before and I’m pretty happy that it baked well. The raspberries went all over the place. haha.

• May 27, 2009 11:05 pm

Definately not too much butter, is there such a thing? Those photos look unreal – you are so talented!

Kittys last blog post..Welcome Reprieve

• joy
      May 28, 2009 10:25 pm

Heehee…no such thing indeed! Thank you so much!

• May 28, 2009 9:36 am

You’re too hard on yourself! That looks scrumptous! If you need a firm opinion, it’s not too hard to offer me a bite….

• May 28, 2009 6:55 pm

Oh wow, you did a fabulous job all around..beautiful photos too!

• joy
      May 28, 2009 10:26 pm

Thanks Lisa! It was quite an ordeal, and I’m glad to be done. :D

• May 28, 2009 8:10 pm

On the contrary, I think it looks perfect. I love the unique filling (cherries and raspberries! Two of my favorite fruits, just next to mango), and I’m totally craving this right now!! Grr!

Manggys last blog post..Tartine’s Brownies

• May 29, 2009 8:17 am

I have never baked with rainier cherries – what a good idea!

Hillarys last blog post..The Best Pancake Recipe Ever

• May 29, 2009 1:36 pm

Nope…I think raspberries sound delicious! Fantastic job!

Claires last blog post..Simply Strudel

• May 29, 2009 1:36 pm

I think the raspberries sound great. Looks wonderful!

Claires last blog post..Simply Strudel