Filed Under | condiments, experiments

Never Run Out Of Mayo Again

If you’re like me who rarely uses mayo because it’s not her most favorite thing in the world, you’ll end up running out of it when a dish you’re craving for finally calls for it. I had one jar at the far end of the fridge and it’s 6 months past its expiration date. It knew it would happen someday that I would be “forced” to eventually cross out “homemade mayo” from my to-make list when craving trumps laziness and cunctation.

My earliest vivid memory of mayo was when I organized a picnic with my fellow 7-year-olds one summer. I said I’ll bring the bread with spread. What I did not know was that we ran out of jam, jelly, butter or peanut butter that day and all we had was mayo. Never one to give up, I had a not-so-brilliant idea to just put mayo on the slices of pan de sal (dinner rolls in the Philippines that are really mostly eaten during breakfast) we had. The result: 7-year-old playmates were not pleased. This is probably “The Pang” that I associate with mayo and have barred me from enjoying it for most of my life. Until I made it, that is.

Let me tell you…what a revelation! It was love after the last arm-numbing flick of the whisk!

Homemade Mayo

It will be very hard to even think of eating store-bought mayonnaise ever. again. This is so good. I closed my eyes and savored my first taste, as if I was relishing fresh whipped cream, which I eat up like it is heaven by the spoonful (it is, aside from butter).

Want to give this a try? Roll up your sleeves and get whisking…

Homemade Mayonnaise Download the PDF recipe for Homemade Mayonnaise
inspired by Orangette’s recipe from the April 2008 issue of Bon Appetit

Ingredients (makes about 7/8 cups of mayo)

• 1 egg yolk from a large egg
  • 1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1 1/4 tsp white wine vinegar
  • 1/4 tsp table salt
  • 3/4 cup canola oil, divided (alternatively, you an use 1/2 cup olive and 1/4 cup coconut oil)

Preparation

1. Whisk** together egg yolk, vinegar, lemon juice and salt in a heavy medium bowl, that can sit sturdily on the counter, for about a minute.

2. Have a 1/2 cup of canola. Continue whisking with your good hand and hold the oil-filled measuring cup with your other hand above the bowl. The oil “spill” from the cup is enough to start you off with incorporating oil into the mixture. Continue to add oil little by little, by tipping the measuring cup slightly to “spill” some more oil as you continue to whisk. Use your 1/4 measuring cup to slowly add the rest of the canola oil, whisking thoroughly before adding more.

It will take a good 10 to 15 minutes of whisking until you get the desired thickness, but it will be worth it. Don’t despair if it doesn’t look like mayo or become light in color and creamy for what seems like a long time, it will. :-)

** You can also use your hand or stand mixer to make your life a lot easier.

20 Responses to “Never Run Out Of Mayo Again”

Oh, this is something I definitely have to try! It’s still on my “to do eventually” list. Should probably bump it up to the top now!

Elles last blog post..Pesto Parmesan Turkey Burgers and Some New England Sights

2. Kristina says:

In my first restaurant job we used to make the mayo for the restaurant’s sandwiches in a Cuisinart. It came out a beautiful yellow color and was so yummy. Save your arm and try it in the food processor (or Kitchenaid) next time!

Kristinas last blog post..Easy Tuesday Dinner; Tofu Stir-Fry

Thanks, Kristina. I think the day after you left this comment, I made mayo again and used the stand mixer. Thank god!!!

3. sandy says:

i’ve always wondered – how long does it keep? just like you said, by the time you go to grab the mayo, it’s way past its expiration. i like mayo, but i really don’t use it that often.

sandys last blog post..sailing on that big blue watery road…

I’ve read anything from 1 day to 8 days. I’ve also read that if you want to be really safe about consuming it within a week, use pasteurized egg. The longest I’ve kept it is 5 days and it still tastes fine, and the only reason is that I made a double batch. Less than a cup is pretty easy to consume, especially if you make a mayonnaise-laden salad or dressing. I used it with tuna salad, to make an incredibly delicious garlic salad dressing. You can use it as a dip for your veggies to bring to work, too!

You know, I actually like the “sandwich spread” which is really just mayo with sweet relish and seasonings! You might like to check out this transcript of Good Eats for more info on methods and mayo:

Manggys last blog post..Tartine’s Brownies

Haha…I need something with it. Thanks for that link! I love mayo and I think I even watched that episode. But I almost always make stuff last-minute and on a whim, so it’s seldom I check online for more recipes or tips, and just wish it would work out. :D

5. Lisa says:

I’m not a mayo hater but I’m DEFINEATLY a homemade mayo lover! I’ve made it in the blender but prefer the food processor because it’s easier to get it out – never even considered using the Kitchenaid :)

Lisas last blog post..Greyhound Jellies

6. The fresh stuff is good…really good. We love lots of garlic in it to add kick.

The Duo Dishess last blog post..Breaking the Tradition

7. Hillary says:

I think I will try to make my own mayo one of these days.

Thanks!

Hillarys last blog post..Yelp Hosts Chicago Restaurant Week

8. Nate says:

I don’t really like mayo but I like the thought of making your own at home in small batches so you don’t have this huge jar getting old in the back of the fridge.

I can think of so many ways to customize this recipe. Wasabi, anyone?

Nates last blog post..Foodbuzz 24, 24, 24: Ultimate Backyard Lu’au

I’ve wasted so many jars of mayo because I just ignore them until I need them, and then they’re goners already. Mmm…wasabi!

9. You really can’t get much better than homemade mayo.

10. Alta says:

Ya know, I saw this article, and I need to decide to get off my lazy butt and make some homemade mayo! I live with a mayo worshiper…so we go through the jars pretty quickly! Thanks for bringing it to my attention again..I bet it’s super-tasty!

Altas last blog post..Kids in the Kitchen: Steak with Parsley Garlic Herb Butter

1. […] tried out some new kitchen tricks.   I made mayonnaise and ketchup.  For my birthday my ladyfriend is getting me a baking stone to up my […]