Beef Rhubarb Potstickers

Could it be that my brain is now part-rhubarb? I wouldn’t doubt it really. I have to admit that although I’ve made many dishes with rhubarb by now, they are all savory. I can’t help it if that sour stalk is so good.

Had I been more prepared, I really would have loved to make the filling with pork and shrimp, but I wasn’t. In fact, I was late for the Daring Cooks’ Challenge deadline last Sunday. After all the talk about it online, I built up a gargantuan craving for it, hence, this:

Potstickers

I’ve made potstickers before but failed miserably with the pleating. Now…thanks to Jen’s recipe with detailed photos, they now closely resemble the real thing! I love it! I couldn’t help but admire my handiwork. Haha.

I did follow our challenge’s dough recipe proportions and the rest are all mine. It was very, very good. If you don’t have rhubarb, just add a little more meat and 1 tbsp lemon juice.

I’ll post a more organized recipe tomorrow, including the PDF download. I just wanted to share this quickly for those of you who have been waiting for it since I posted a mobile photo. :-)

Potsticker Wrappers

Ingredients:

• 250 g all purpose flour (I used unbleached)
  • 113 g warm water

Preparation (How I made it)

1. In a medium bowl, place the flour and add half of the water. Stir with a spoon. Continue to add the remaining water little by little, probably by teaspoons.
  2. Continue to mix into a cohesive ball by hand. Place on your clean counter that’s been sprinkled with flour to prevent sticking, and knead for 10 minutes.
  3. Place back inside the bowl and cover with a damp cloth for 15 minutes.
  4. After 15 minutes, shape dough into a shallow dome and cut into 1 1/2-inch thick slices. Leave one slice on the counter and place the others back into the bowl and cover with the damp towel. Slice the strip into 3/4 inch pieces and shape and flatten down with your palm into small discs. Place each disk on the counter and flatten further with your rolling pin. Continue with the rest of the dough. Be careful about putting the dough on top of each other. I made the time-consuming mistake of not putting enough flour between wrappers and my hard work went back to square one of being one big dough.

Filling the wrappers

1. Put a wrapper on the palm of your hand and drop a tablespoon of filling at the center. Fold the wrapper in half and press firmly to attach the top-center portion.
  2. From the center, start pleating the single side of the wrapper (not both) but scrunching farther side on top of the previous pleat. Continue until you almost reach the end and you get a small teardrop-shaped hole. Simply tuck in the bottom of the ‘teardrop’ into the pointed top end of the teardrop. Each dumpling will look like the semi-circular women’s purses.

Beef Rhubarb Filling

• 200 g ground beef (or other meat/s of your choice)
  • 1/3 cup yellow onion, chopped
  • 1/3 cup rhubarb, chopped
  • 1/3 cup button mushrooms, chopped (sauted in med heat for 2 mins to let the juices out
  • 1/3 cup celery, chopped
  • 1/3 cup carrot, chopped
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
  • 4 stalks of green onion, chopped

Preparation

In a small saucepan, saute onion, rhubarb and celery for 3 minutes in medium-high heat. Set aside and let it cool before mixing with all the other ingredients.

Pan-Frying

On a frying pan with vegetable oil in high heat, cook the dumplings until the bottoms are golden brown in color. Add 1/2 cup water and cover. Let it cook until the water is almost gone. Remove the lid and let it cook for another 2 minutes.

Optional Dip: You can mix soy sauce, white vinegar with a smashed garlic. Very simple.

24 Responses to “Beef Rhubarb Potstickers”

1. Firstly – wonderful picture of the dumplings they are so glossy and translucent which matches the lustre of the dish – very nice food plating and composition.
    2ndly – the filling is inspired rhubarb and beef and others basics, I love rhubarb/beef it isn’t common but my mum always made it so I know I would love these!!!!
    3edly – your pleating is superb so symmetrical and even, excellent work on that.
    4thly – all this done in one night, shows your depth of food handling and cooking maturity.
    5thly – overall a brilliant effort on this challenge.
    Lastly – Bravo

Audax Artifexs last blog post..Daring Cooks’ #2 Chinese Dumplings

Thank you so much for your wonderful and well thought-out comment! I really appreciate it. I was very lucky with the lighting. It was past 8pm and just starting to darken here in Vancouver. Also, I used coconut oil for frying, which I didn’t realize made the dumplings so shiny. Oh, nice! I’m glad to hear that other people use that combo, too. Rhubarb really shines when paired with meat. It’s my 2nd time to make potstickers and I am a perfectionist (and crafter), so I think my years of crafting and origami have been useful with my cooking. :-) I love food and cooking and I’m glad my passion and dedication to it shows. :)

2. Tea says:

Great work on getting the potstickers so nicely formed! I’ve tried it before and ended up with a ball instead of a nice crescent shape LOL. Hmm I would have never thought of adding rhubarb to the recipe. Very creative!

Teas last blog post..Multiplicity

Thanks Tea! I was so hungry I had to make these right. LOL. You should try rhubarb with meat — pork, chicken, beef…it makes it really rich and moist. And you wouldn’t even notice it there.

3. Lisa says:

First off – your filling sounds SO SO delicious and is so creative and unique! Secondly, your dumplings are some of the most perfect I have seen, thus far! Perfectly translucent after steaming, showing how thin you got the dough prior to filling, which is a feat in itself! Beautifully done all around! Kudos!!

Lisas last blog post..How about a Dumpling, Dumplin’?

Thanks Lisa! I went crazy with the thinning. I ended up with a really smooth and stretchy dough that was so easy to work with after letting it rest, so that was a big help with the wrappers.

4. Alta says:

These are so pretty! And yummy-looking…i’m hungry already and drooling over your pics certainly doesn’t help!

Altas last blog post..Rosemary Roast Chicken

Thanks Alta! I get the same way over other people’s food posts, so I’m forever craving all sorts of things!

5. Nate says:

Very nice job, and a unique potsticker filling!

Nates last blog post..Ahi Limu Poke

6. Such a clever filling! Great job on the challenge, your dumplings look fantastic!!

Megan{Feasting on Art}s last blog post..Citrus Menu

7. Jen Yu says:

How very creative on your filling! Love that (and wish I had more rhubarb available). I have to say your pleats are the image of perfection. I am so impressed with how gorgeous everyone’s dumplings have turned out. Great job on the challenge :)

Jen Yus last blog post..a win-win-win situation

Thank you so much, Jen! What a compliment — very humbling. I am having so much fun looking through everyone’s dumplings especially now that TS has them all clumped together. :) Thanks for such a nice challenge, I really enjoyed this one! And I made one more batch after this. Dessert dumplings next!

8. Thanks for the long reply to my comment:
    I have picked up a couple of tips to make nice potstickers and the coconut oil (to make it shiny is a good one) another couple I would like to share with you is use some vinegar in the dough (firstly it softens the gulten so makes the dough easy to handle and shape and more importantly it whitens the dough) which makes the dumpling look gorgeous. Another one is when you pan fry the dumplings fry them until they are *almost burnt* very dark dark brown almost black and when you add the water to steam them the water and steam gets rid (that is removes the chemicals) that cause the biter tastes of burnt food and leaves the most perfect glossy brown colour and the taste is so so so good an Asian friend of mine suggested this I was a little sceptical but it worked. Thought you would like to know.

I’m unlucky it gets very dark by 5pm in Sydney Australia so no phototgraphy after 4:30. Interesting about your crafts/paper folding background it really shows. My pixs in my posts are just average but are getting better.

If you don’t mind could you have a quick look at my posting any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated you have a real natural talent with plating and composition. Yours Audax

Audax Artifexs last blog post..Daring Cooks’ #2 Chinese Dumplings

I think I can confirm it’s the oil. I fried two batches in canola oil and olive oil separately, and then last night another in coconut oil and it was indeed that coconut oil that made it so glossy. :) I’ll have to try the vinegar next — I want them really white. The dumplings I posted was actually slightly colored by rhubarb and it was bubblegum pink before it was cooked. And then…darn, I lost the color, so I forgot to mention it. Haha. After your comment, I cooked the next 3 batches until they’re almost burnt before adding the water — very very good!

I’m trying to get the most out of the long summer days in Vancouver when it comes to photographs. It’s not always this good.

I’ll drop over at your site. :) Thanks, hun. I still don’t know what I’m doing with the composition, it’s always a learning process with food. Sometimes it works, sometimes it looks really funny except to me! Haha.

9. Emily says:

I am so curious about this! As you’ve probably gathered from my blog I don’t eat a lot of meat, but this idea may be too unique not to try! Or, maybe I could try make it with shrimp instead…. *thinking*

& beautiful presentation as always!

Emilys last blog post..It’s Not That I Haven’t Been Eating…

Emily, that’s the beauty of the dumplings, you can put whatever you like in it. I’ve had many vegetarian fillings and they were so delicious. You can definitely use shrimps, either cut, ground or maybe even whole if they’re not that big. The original recipe actually called for adding starch in the mixture to bind it, so maybe that will help with the veggies, too. I’m going to try veggies next time. Oh, and dessert dumplings! :)

10. asti says:

WOW! beetroot and beef. yummmm..
    Great photos too =)

astis last blog post..Dumpling dinner party – DC June 2009

11. Hillary says:

Great idea for a unique flavor combination in potstickers! I like this!

Hillarys last blog post..Introducing Foodie Vocab Lessons!

1. […] Rhubarb offers a tart, complex taste that can lend nuance and layers to desserts, or tart up in savory dishes, especially chicken and meats. And it’s obvious why rhubarb appeals to chefs who […]

2. […] Rhubarb offers a tart, complex taste that can lend nuance and layers to desserts, or tart up in savory dishes, especially chicken and meats. And it’s obvious why rhubarb appeals to chefs who […]