Bakewell Tart/Pudding with Homemade Blackberry Jam

The June Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Jasmine of Confessions of a Cardamom Addict and Annemarie of Ambrosia and Nectar. They chose a Traditional (UK) Bakewell Tart… er… pudding that was inspired by a rich baking history dating back to the 1800’s in England.

The 3 Stages of Food Love:

The first look…

Bakewell Tart/Pudding with Homemade Blackberry Jam

The first slice…

Bakewell Tart/Pudding with Homemade Blackberry Jam

The first bite…

Bakewell Tart/Pudding with Homemade Blackberry Jam

And I thought I won’t be able to make it to the deadline of this month’s Daring Bakers challenge. I am so glad I did! I’m ecstatic about the results–and that’s a huge understatement. The frangipane top is light, fluffy-spongy, perfectly ‘toasted’ with a subtle sweetness that gives you a hint of almond, which can almost be mistaken for coconut. The moist portion in between is made of homemade blackberry jam** with a consistency that is heaven-sent because it neighter left the upper filling and the crust soaked, nor left it wanting for taste or texture. The bottom is a semi-flaky crust that’s solid and holds well during cutting, yet crumbles at the right time when you bite into it.

Can you tell I’m in love?

Oh, yes! The best thing about it all is that it’s really easy to do. It’s not time consuming, won’t break your back and people will go Oooh, Ahhh, MMmmm over it. I think I can pretty much guarantee that, unless they don’t like almonds or are allergic to it.

Thanks Jasmine (Confessions of a Cardamom Addict) and Annemarie (Ambrosia and Nectar) for this month’s DB challenge! I absolutely, thoroughly, love it.

I will talk about it more and post additional photos in a bit. For now, I want to make the DB challenge deadline! :-) Recipes are available at the websites of our challenge hosts above. I’m sorry I don’t have the recipe for the blackberry jam.

– – – – – – –

** I wish I could say I made it, but my friend’s mom did and it’s almost a year old so I decided to use it before it goes to waste! That’s another ‘win’ for Eating Down the Fridge.

25 Responses to “Bakewell Tart/Pudding with Homemade Blackberry Jam”

1. Lisa says:

LOVE the homemade blackberry jam, and your tart looks picture perfect..lovely job all around!
    .-= Lisa´s last blog ..By George, It‚Äôs a Bakewell Tart! (OR TWO) =-.

2. Jamie says:

Ooooh I agree with Joy about the Blackberry jam! Wow! This tart is beautiful and I’ll bet it tasted wonderful! The top looks so light and fluffy even from up here!
    .-= Jamie´s last blog ..A QUICKIE =-.

3. Rosa says:

A very pretty and delicious looking tart! Great job!

Cheers,

Rosa

4. Anula says:

Nice looking tart and what a lovely photos :)
    .-= Anula´s last blog ..The Daring Bakers #4 Bakewell Tart…er…Pudding… =-.

5. jo says:

Great job on your challenge and your tart looks delicious. Love the picture with the cut out tart piece.
    .-= jo´s last blog ..Baking a Bakewell Tart with Daring Bakers =-.

6. Tartelette says:

Blackberry jam was a great choice with it! I mean what does not go with nuts and frangipane, right! Great job!

7. jasmine says:

So glad you liked it. Thanks for participating.

j

Haha! Couldn’t wait to get it off the oven shelf to take a slice, could you? Lol. Looks absolutely perfect Joy!
    .-= Manggy´s last blog ..Summer Fruit Bavarian =-.

9. isa says:

Looks delicious! Love your blackberry jam filling. Great job!
    .-= isa´s last blog ..Daring Bakers: Bakewell Tart ou Tarte √† la P√¢te d’Amandes =-.

10. Glad to hear that you loved it as much as I did and I LOVED it. Blackberry is the best jam and home-made jam you are a dream. Great effort on this challenge. Cheers from audax in australia.
    .-= Audax Artifex´s last blog ..Daring Bakers’ Bakewell Tarts…er….Pudding =-.

Oh, do I ever! I’m I plan to make some more this weekend. :) Honestly, I’ve never had homemade blackberry jam before I was given a jar of it last year. Thanks for stopping by.

11. Beautiful tart, I really enjoyed this challenge as well, super yum.

Thank you, Jenna! I love it…great results, not too much hassle, work-wise, that’s enough to go to my favorite recipe stash. :)

12. asti says:

I always loved your photos. Great job on the challenge. The tart look fantastic
    .-= asti´s last blog ..Bakewell tart….er pudding – DB June 2009 =-.

1. […] making and finishing (which was way too easy) the Bakewell Tart/Pudding, I was left not only with ground almonds, but also a taste for more almonds. I love almonds. When I […]