Pork Cutlets with Rutabagas & Green Peppers in Coconut Milk

In the course of my adventurous summer with food, when I tried ingredients I’ve never eaten or cooked before, I picked up a rutabaga. Also called swede, yellow turnip, or wax turnip, it is part smooth, part rough/hairy/bumpy, hard and so foreign to me. I laughed when I got home because I absolutely had no idea what it tasted like. I just assumed it can be boiled. Peeling it revealed what looks like a raw sweet yellow potato flesh. Trying to cut into it tested my patience. Be very careful when slicing it raw. Save your hands and fingers. They are tough little buggers that could roll off your cutting board and kitchen counter if you don’t hang on to them.

Ever since I got it, I can only think of cooking it with coconut milk.  No idea why, it just sounded delicious at the time. Then someone from Twitter asked me if I use turmeric in my cooking, and I replied ‘No’, so the next day I decided to remedy that and added the ginger-family spice. It made the rutabaga in this recipe even yellower. In Medieval Europe, turmeric was known as “Indian Saffron” due to its wide use as an alternative to the pricier saffron, and it is a significant ingredient in commercial curry powders, thus the resulting taste and color of a curry dish:

Pork Cutlets with Rutabagas & Green Peppers in Coconut Milk

It was just the right blend of subtle flavors, without overpowering the rutabagas. Biting into each chunk of rutabaga feels like biting into a vegetable that is a cross between a turnip and squash, without the latter’s mushiness but a hint of its taste. I love that it holds its shape without easily disintegrating when cooked. The peppers were a nice complement to the rutabaga and coconut milk, and the turmeric added just enough character to the taste of the dish. Having this for dinner one quiet, dreary evening brought a smile to my face. I just love it when my food experimentation works out. Mmmmm….

Pork Cutlets with Rutabagas & Green Peppers in Coconut Milk

Ingredients (serves two)Download the print-ready PDF recipe

• 1/2 lb tenderized pork loin cutlets
  • 1 rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1- to 1.5-inch chunks
  • 1/2 small yellow onion, sliced
  • 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
  • 1/8 tsp ground turmeric
  • sea salt
  • fresh ground pepper
  • canola oil
  • coconut oil

Preparation

1.    In boiling water with a pinch of salt, cook the chunks of rutabaga until tender; about 25 to 30 minutes in medium heat. Strain and set aside.

2.    Heat a large frying pan, with about 1/2-tablespoon canola oil, in medium-to-high heat. Once the oil is hot, cook each side of the pork cutlet till golden brown (not burnt), about 3 to 4 minutes each side.

3.    Lower the heat to medium and add 1/2-teaspoon coconut oil. Saute the onion slices for a few minutes until they become transparent, and then add the chopped garlic and bell pepper slices. Cook for a couple more minutes before adding the rutabaga chunks. Fry until the edges of the rutabaga begin to brown.

4.    Pour coconut milk, turmeric, and a pinch of salt. Stir and wait for it to boil before adding more salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.

Serve over the pork cutlets and enjoy with steamed rice.

16 Responses to “Pork Cutlets with Rutabagas & Green Peppers in Coconut Milk”

1. zested says:

I don’t know that I would recognize a rutabega if I ran into one! I love the tropical flavors in this though.

2. Kristen says:

You are having an adventurous summer in the kitchen! This looks so beautiful – bet it tasted great too!
    .-= Kristen´s last blog ..FlyLady Flunkie (Recipe ‚Äì Aleppo Pepper Chicken, Asparagus and Pasta) =-.

I am indeed, and loving it! I’m like a kid in a candy store. :) I love this, and I bought more rutabagas to make some more.

3. Joy … I love this dish, it looks and sounds amazing!!! I cannot wait to give it a try!!

Also, I love the new PDF option – very nice!
    .-= Chez US – Denise´s last blog ..Daring Cooks: Rice with Mushrooms, Cuttlefish and Artichokes: Arroz marinero con setas, sepia y alcachofas =-.

Thanks, Denise! I found a new vegetable root, and I love that I can cook it like a Filipino dish. :) I’m glad you like the PDF option!

4. Sophie says:

What a lovely & delightful flavoured dish!! I so love the colours & flavours!!

Yummie yum,…
    .-= Sophie´s last blog ..Ras El Hanout roasted carrots, red onions & beets =-.

5. You’re right – it’s the coconut milk that makes it isn’t it? Gorgeous stuff, that.

Here’s a tip I learned at culinary school: Don’t shake the can (which I do without thinking so have to have a few on hand, just in case!), and use the coconut fat on top as your oil. Much tastier than canola. Then add the milk (the liquid) after you have sauteed your vegetables int he coconut fat. Really yummy.

Cheers!
    .-= CookingSchoolConfidential.com´s last blog ..Day thirty: Where I take the wheel =-.

It does. :) Thank you!

Great tip! I’m still learning how to really use canned coconut milk. I used to avoid it like the plague, being used to the real thing all my life. I’ll try that method next time.

Root vegetables in coconut milk– how very Filipino, I love it! :)
    .-= Manggy´s last blog ..Dulce de Leche Flan =-.

I love your description! “it is part smooth, part rough/hairy/bumpy” Reminds me of a troll or something, hehe!

This dish look so amazingly comforting to me. Like something my mom would have made. Delicious!
    .-= Elle´s last blog ..Vegan Brunch: Tofu Rancheros =-.

Hahaha! Now that you mentioned it, it does sound like a troll. In reality, the rutabaga looks like one that’s going bald. Hehehe. Aw, thanks! I still rely heavily on my Asian roots with the way I cook food in the kitchen, thus the use of coconut milk. It was something very abundant there, and reminds me of ‘home’.

8. nora@ffr says:

vat a flavorful dish!! love these Pork Cutlets and the idea you have applied.. coconut is one of my fav. my first visit to ye blog joy!1 and m enjoying every bit of it!! keep uo the great work!
    cheers and have a great weekend!!
    .-= nora@ffr´s last blog ..Pineapple Cooking Tips =-.

9. Anne says:

Thanks for this recipe! When I googled for a recipe with rutabaga and bell pepper (ingredients to use up before vacation) I wasn’t optimistic about finding something appealing with this combination – but this recipe was perfect. My husband even complimented it twice during dinner. (Next time I might add some fresh ginger, cayenne, etc to give it a bit of kick.) And the PDF version was a nice bonus.