Dobos Torte

I joined this fantastic, dedicated, inspiring and fun group of bakers last March: The Daring Bakers. I wanted in on the amazing and hugely popular–yet highly secretive–monthly challenge. You can’t “reveal” the recipe and results until the designated date.Let me tell you, most of the recipes the “hosts” (it’s different every month) pick ones that I would not willingly subject myself to by my own choice. That’s the beauty of it. Even if you can clearly see the recipe is The Tome of recipes, you still go ahead because you know that several hundreds of the other members are doing it with you…through days, nights, arm/back/leg pain in the kitchen, several trips to different markets to procure all the ingredients, thinking of variations to make,…until you all come up with the results, take a bite and pat yourself on the back.

The August 2009 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Angela of A Spoonful of Sugar and Lorraine of Not Quite Nigella. They chose the spectacular Dobos Torte based on a recipe from Rick Rodgers’ cookbook Kaffeehaus:  Exquisite Desserts from the Classic Caffés of Vienna, Budapest, and Prague.

Every month, I tell myself that I’m going to finish the challenge way ahead of the 27th deadline and reveal. Then I think about having to keep it to myself for days or weeks! That’s hard. I finished this last Tuesday and took photos, then more photos of the sliced cake the next day. Then forgot to post. Haha. This is classic.

The finished cake was a beauty to behold!

Dobos Torte -- August 2009 Daring Bakers Challenge

I’ve never made buttercream in my life, and having a taste of this cake’s fresh chocolate buttercream was dreamy. I was Mmm-Mmm–Mmm-ing at 3am while gliding in the kitchen.

Download the PDF recipe for Dobos TorteAnd that’s all I’m going to say for now. Wait until I post more photos later. Sorry, foodies, cooks, bakers, and food voyeurs, it’s a busy day ahead. Please come back later. :) I will also let you know what I did to have an almost stress-free slicing of those pesky, sticky caramel slices!

29 Responses to “Dobos Torte”

1. April says:

It sure is beautiful and I can’t wait to see more pictures!
    .-= April´s last blog ..Peanut Butter-Chocolate Dobos Torte (Daring Bakers) =-.

2. Amy I. says:

Gorgeous! Can’t wait to see the layers :)
    .-= Amy I.´s last blog ..Shrimp Scampi with Artichoke Hearts =-.

3. Holly says:

Wow! Looks beautiful! I can’t wait to hear about how you did the caramel pieces they look absolutely perfect!
    .-= Holly´s last blog ..Crap!!! =-.

4. Beautiful job! Your caramel wedges are just perfect! So glad you got to make the torte. Can’t wait to see more!
    .-= Susan at SGCC´s last blog ..Daring Bakers: Dobos Torte (and a Big Flop) =-.

5. Chez US says:

I love that you bake late at night, that is amazing, I would never sleep if I ate butter cream at 3am!!!! Your Dobos looks amazing, great job!
    .-= Chez US´s last blog ..Daring Bakers: Dobos Torte =-.

I bake or cook when I couldn’t sleep. I might as well be productive than stir endless in my bed. Haha. And I’m used to chocolate before sleep. LOL. Very bad. Thanks a lot hun!

6. That looks amazing! Love the fan effect…very stylish!
    .-= Hugging the Coast´s last blog ..Fruit Salad Recipes and Ideas Perfect For a Party =-.

Thank you! I love the fan effect, too. The caramel wedges were too challenging to eat for me, though, but our guests loved them!

7. Sophie says:

MMMMMMMMM,…your torte looks fabulous, doesn’t it?

Must taste fab too!
    .-= Sophie´s last blog ..Spiced sweet potato & coconut soup =-.

8. nora@ffr says:

wow!! you did a great job!! they look magnificent!! sooo pretty and beautifully made! sure a winner!
    cheers!

9. Margie says:

Looking forward to hearing about your stress-free slicing of those caramel slices. But if you were up at 3am doing the Mmmmm dance, you need some sleep!
    .-= Margie´s last blog ..BLT from Scratch Challenge =-.

10. Mariel says:

Oh my! That is truly gorgeous!!! Are those hazelnuts?:) That cake literally looks like happiness on a plate!
    .-= Mariel´s last blog .."Go in peace." =-.

11. Your Dobos is absolutely beautiful! You did a great job on the buttercream, especially as you haven’t made one before! And your caramel wedges on top are just perfect. Well done!!

Thanks so much Angela! And thank YOU for co-hosting this challenge. I always look forward to our DB challenges, precisely because of the lovely outcomes! :)

12. Danielle says:

Very gorgeous and can’t wait to see the rest of the pics! I suppose the joy of each monthly challenge comes from the satisfaction of seeing the final product done well, like yours. Congrats!
    .-= Danielle´s last blog ..Brown Butter & Chocolate fleur de sel Meringue =-.

Thanks Danielle! I posted more pics last night, finally. It definitely is the joy of each challenge…just knowing that it will somehow work out in the end, however difficult the process, is enough consolation. It’s a bonus if the final product is worth the hard work! :)

13. Kristina says:

OMG Joy, that is one beautiful cake! Great job!
    .-= Kristina´s last blog ..A Little Recognition =-.

Thanks!!! It was a huge hit among our house guests. Good thing we had people over, or I would have eaten the cake by myself.

1. [...] I couldn’t sleep. Let’s make buttercream while the rest of the world is in deep sleep! As I said in my previous post, it was heavenly and I was pointing my toes as I walked in delight. I had to restrain myself from [...]