Filed Under | baking, cakes

Tiramisu: Heaven on a Dessert Plate

The February 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Aparna of My Diverse Kitchen and Deeba of Passionate About Baking. They chose Tiramisu as the challenge for the month. Their challenge recipe is based on recipes from The Washington Post, Cordon Bleu at Home and Baking Obsession.

Thank you Aparna and Deeba! This was certainly quite a challenge (with some standing-by-the-stove endurance involved) and the payoff is heavenly!

Homemade Tiramisu -- everything from scratch

Tiramisu is probably our family’s favorite non-Filipino cake. If it’s on the menu at a restaurant we’re dining in, that’s what we’ll get for dessert. You know how much we love it? This is the only photo of a slice I could get before it disappeared. We tasted it before it should have been eaten. It’s just not possible to let it sit there. Have Tiramisu, Will Eat! The couple of slices that were left to themselves for a few more hours tasted even better, I have to say.

As I type this, a SECOND pan of tiramisu is cooling in the fridge, I kid you not. I didn’t make the ladyfingers from scratch, though. One would think that with our addiction to this Italian dessert, we would have made it at some point in our lives. Up until this challenge, no one in the family has made it. We always ordered it. Daring Bakers has changed that and I bet we will be making this on a regular basis. By “we” I mean ME. I will labor on it for hours and we will consume it in minutes.

You will find the recipes from both the lovely sites I linked above. I will post an adapted and PDF recipe within the coming week. It is so very long so I’ll rewrite and reformat it so it’s not so daunting to print (or make)! I’ll also post more photos of the cake-making process tomorrow, while we watch the hockey game. Hehe. Go Canada! Addendum: They have not been posted because — who know the hockey game would be so close that I can’t even concentrate on anything but?! I was busy with the game and preparing food. Mmm…wings!

Tomorrow is the last day of the Olympics so rest assured regular posting will resume and the newsletter will be out soon! Watch out for that because we will be giving away those red Olympic mittens!

P.S. Much thanks to friend Adrienne who featured my tiramisu in her equally delicious culinary travel blog. If I ever go to Italy–to have a taste of real tiramisu, among numerous other gastronomic adventures–she will be my go-to person!

14 Responses to “Tiramisu: Heaven on a Dessert Plate”

1. Joy it’s absolutely beautiful! Well done!
    .-= Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite´s last blog ..Gnocchi party =-.

2. Emily says:

Wow – this looks delicious! Nice presentation.
    .-= Emily´s last blog ..Then & Now. =-.

3. Aparna says:

I can believe that was the last piece! I had to freeze my portion so I could get a picture of a slice of Tiramisu!! LOL
    “I will labor on it for hours and we will consume it in minutes.” I can empathise with this too. :)
    Thanks for baking with us.
    .-= Aparna´s last blog ..Heaven On A Dessert Plate ~ Tiramisu: Daring Bakers‚Äô Challenge February, 2010 =-.

4. yes, that sure looks like heaven to me

5. From that photo it looks like the hard work paid off. That looks great! I agree that tiramisu taste even better a few hours or even the next day after it’s made.
    .-= Fried Wontons For You´s last blog ..Roasted Pork Tenderloin Sandwich with Apple and Pickled Carrot Slaw and Caramelized Onion Mustard =-.

6. Esi says:

So perfect looking. I want more. Right. Now!
    .-= Esi´s last blog ..Daring Bakers: Tiramisu =-.

7. This recipe is hardcore but Tiramisu is sooo worth the effort. Yours looks gorgeous, I can see why it didn’t stick around long!

8. Nastassia says:

All of these Tiramisu posts have me drooling! Your tiramisu looks so perfect. I want to lick the oozing marscapone! yum yum!
    .-= Nastassia´s last blog ..Foodbuzz 24 24 24: A Glimpse Inside The Foodie Underground =-.

9. Jasmine says:

OMG, this must be delicious!! And the picture, the picture is wonderful (I hate taking pics of tiramisu, mine tragically splits on the plate)! :)
    Cheers!

10. Divina says:

I used to make tiramisu at the Italian restaurant every 3 days but I made it with ready made lady fingers and mascarpone cheese. I never made ladyfingers and mascarpone cheese before and I think it’s worth a try. This is also one of my favorite desserts too. Joy, that photo is so gorgeous, I want to have one right now.

Crossing my fingers that I would actually visit Vancouver this April. It’s the visa thing. :(

11. Valerina says:

Bravo! Your tiramisu turned out beautifully! It really did take a lot of stove-endurance. The showdown with the mascarpone required the most patience but it was all worth it. Well done!! :)
    .-= Valerina´s last blog ..Gingersnaps with Lemon-Ginger Cream Filling =-.

12. Nicola says:

I’ve always found Tiramisu a tricky dessert to make. It just seems to see me coming and go dreadfully wrong ;)

I tried this recipe as I love Tiramisu so much that I didn’t want to admit defeat……I was divine!

Thank you so much for sharing.

1. […] Tiramisu: Heaven on a Dessert Plate | Gourmeted.com […]