Mocha Cake ala Goldilocks

Goldilocks is a well-known institution of baked goods and pastries in the Philippines. Even though I can easily go to their Vancouver location to get my mocha cake fix, I’ve always dreamed of baking a copycat so I can enjoy it anytime at home and knowing the ingredients in the cake I’m eating.

Finally, this summer, I set out to do just that. I got insanely lucky on my first try of the series and the flavor and texture was right on. My family declared it identical to (and even better than) Goldilocks. It was too good to be true and I can tell you that I got teary eyed on the final tasting of the buttercream after tweaking the flavors. Just to be sure, I’ve baked it numerous times since that first time. It helps that another batch of cake is requested before the current one gets eaten, so I don’t have to bury my face in mocha cake. Hah! One cake is just not enough. In fact, I’ve been asked not to post it on the blog because it really does taste like the real thing.  However, what kind of food blogger am I if, after all the testing and perfecting, I don’t share it? That pretty much defeats my purpose for this site.

So here it is, one item off my To-Cook-and-Bake-From-Scratch list:

This was my sister-in-law’s birthday cake.

The mocha cake from Goldilocks defined my love for cakes at an early age. What cake do I want for my birthday? Goldilocks mocha cake please!

Back in university, whenever I felt down, all I needed was a quick jeepney ride to Philcoa to order a half roll of mocha cake and — gasp — finish most of it myself. [Either that, or Betty's Sans Rival.] I was shameless and guiltless in my 5 foot frame and in the 90-pound mark then. These days, I don’t want to think about that, but I still want to a slice of mocha cake or two with my cup of coffee.

The cake is light, fluffy, and soft, and the icing is a luscious combination of extra smooth coffee and cocoa, buttery but not greasy. To get the authentic taste, you will need to use Nescafe coffee granules. You can also use espresso granules (= coffee taste is bolder and more pronounced) or Starbucks VIA Italian roast (=icing has bitter and sour notes), but it’s up to you if you want to use what you have available. You will also need amaretto, an Italian almond liqueur to finish off the flavor and must not be skipped. I’ve never tried to substitute it with anything, so I cannot advise you on that for now. I’ll try making this with almond extract next time and see if that can be used!

Please enjoy!

The recipe can be made into a two-layer 9-inch round cake or a roll. I’ve included instructions for the roll in the recipe Notes if you want to take a stab at it.

MOCHA CAKE ala GOLDILOCKS

• 3 sticks (12 ounces) unsalted butter, soft, at room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon coffee/espresso granules
  • 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
  • 5 teaspoons water
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 5 teaspoons amaretto

TOOLS & EQUIPMENT: hand mixer or stand mixer, 2 9”x2” cake pans, 2 baking sheets, parchment paper cake comb (optional, for decoration); OR a 10.5”x15.5”x1” jelly roll pan if making a roll

PREPARATION

1.    For the Cake: Preheat oven to 375°F with racks in the upper middle and lower middle positions. Spray two 9”x2” round cake pans with baking spray, and line the bottom and sides with parchment paper.

2.    Whisk together egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl (or bowl of a stand mixer) over low, then medium speed, until creamy and light yellow in color.

3.    Dissolve espresso or coffee granules and cocoa powder in water and vanilla in a small bowl, getting rid of lumps while stirring. Pour into the egg-sugar mixture, along with canola oil, and beat until well combined.

4.    Remove large bowl from stand mixer (if using one) and sift cake flour and baking powder over it. Stir with a wooden spoon until well blended, scraping the sides of the bowl once.

5.    Whisk egg whites and cream of tartar into stiff peaks in a medium bowl, and fold into the mocha batter, a dollop or two first to liquefy the thick batter, and then in thirds.

6.    Divide the batter between two cake pans and place each pan on a baking sheet. Bake on two racks for 20 to 25 minutes, rotating the pans and exchanging the pans between racks halfway through. The cake is done when the tops become golden brown and the cake tester comes out clean when inserted in the middle.

7.    Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then carefully turn over on the wire rack, right side up. Cool completely before icing.

8.    For the Buttercream: Whisk sugar and egg whites for 3 to 5 minutes in a medium heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water (water should not touch the bottom of the bowl), until meringue is hot to the touch. The sugar granules will be dissolved and you will be left with a fluffy marshmallow cream-like froth.

9.    Remove bowl from heat and beat for 5 minutes with a hand mixer set to medium speed, or pour into a bowl of a stand mixer with a whisk attachment to mix.

10.  Add half of the butter and beat with a hand mixer (or paddle attachment for stand mixer) until smooth before adding the next half to combine. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula and give it a quick stir. Beat again on medium-high for another 6 to 10 minutes to thicken.

11.  Dissolve cocoa and espresso/coffee granules in water, vanilla extract, and amaretto in a small bowl. Pour into the buttercream and beat for 2 minutes, scraping the sides at least once.

12.  To Assemble the Cake: Dot 3 3”-wide parchment paper strips with buttercream. Use the icing to stick the 3 strips into a triangle on a plate or cake stand. Dot the center bottom of the cake with icing, and place cake on top of the strips. These will keep your plate clean while frosting the cake.

13.  Spoon about ½ cup of frosting on top and spread it evenly with a flat metal spatula. Place the second layer of cake and spread a thin layer of icing over the entire cake and let it stand for 15 minutes. Spread a thicker layer of frosting over the side, working from the bottom up to the top. Frost the top by placing a mound of icing and spreading it to the side. You can decorate the cake with the remaining frosting as you wish.

NOTES

1.    To decorate: You can use a cake comb to create ridges on the side of the cake. The traditional Goldilocks mocha roll and cake are decorated using a cake comb. I added finely grated chocolate at the top.

2.    To make a mocha roll: From Step 6 onwards — Pour batter into a 10.5”x15.5”x1” jelly roll pan (sprayed with cooking spray and lined with a sheet of wax paper, and another coat of cooking spray) and bake for 12 to 15 minutes with the rack on upper middle position, rotating the pan halfway through. What I usually do is bake for 6 minutes and rotate and add minutes as needed to let it bake thoroughly. It is done when the top is golden brown and cake tester will come out clean. Lay flat a dry kitchen/tea towel that’s slightly larger than the pan and dust with a thin layer of powdered sugar. Remove cake from the oven and turn pan over onto the towel. Carefully peel the wax paper and scooping the towel from underneath, slowly roll the towel and cake together. Cool on a wire rack with the seam side down. After about an hour, unroll and remove the towel, spread a generous layer of mocha buttercream. Depending on your preference, you can put as much as half on it. Re-roll the cake and frost the outside and sides. OR you can use the other half of the icing to fill another roll. [Instructions to make the butter cream is the same.]

313 Responses to “Mocha Cake ala Goldilocks”

1. alice says:

Joy, I am in love with this cake!! I only wish I could go somewhere and buy a slice right now.

Thanks, Alice! I wish I could share a slice with you. Yum, yum!

• Lorie says:

Hi Joy,
        Thanks again for this wonderful recipe. I made this cake twice, first one, 2 layers and the second, a mocha roll cake. The mocha roll was a bit of a challenge but will definitely try again soon!

2. mocha is always a joy! and joy makes a mocha! mwah

3. LimeCake says:

wow that is a beautiful cake, joy! i love mocha anything!

4. Jamie says:

Joy this is gorgeous and must be the most perfect cake! Coffee? Mocha? I am in love! And you have made the most beautiful cake ever!

5. Jamie says:

Just studied the recipe and this may be my next birthday cake!

When is your birthday? I might have to bake this again (not that there aren’t tons of requests already) to celebrate with you. :)

And yumm for Lemon Chicken Pasta!

6. Alex says:

My god, I miss Goldilocks where I live now. What about their ube cake? How much ube (powdered, grated?) should I add to this to try to get that delicious purple confection into my stomach?

Hi Alex. I haven’t tried making ube cake so I don’t really know what form and what proportions you need. The base recipe for the cake and icing (remove the coffee/cocoa flavors) would be great to start with if you want to experiment. Ube cake is still in my to-do list. Hopefully I’ll make it sooner than later, if I could find fresh ube around here.

7. Heather says:

Wow….this looks totally and incredibly delicious!!

8. farida says:

Joy, this looks so good! I love what goes inside the cream. Saving the recipe for my next cake-craving fit:) Thanks!

9. Amanda says:

Oh my, that looks beautiful and soft! What a magnificent cake and decadent-looking recipe!

I do have a question about the buttercream. It seems that the recipe will make a lot! Did you have much left over? How much would you recommend scaling back?

HI Amanda, if you use the icing to pipe the cake on the sides and the corner of the top, you won’t have left overs. You can halve the recipe if you will only make the roll and just need icing inside the roll. For the cake, half the recipe will only suffice if you frost the cake conservatively. I’d rather have extra icing than be left lacking. For the cake above, since I didn’t put it too thick and no piped icing, I had an extra 3/4 cup or so that I was able to use for a roll for about a 2-3mm thick layer inside.

• Yna says:

Hi Ms. Joy, I wanted to ask if the icing that you made here is the same icing as the goldilock’s? is it smooth and thin or a little bit thick like the icicngs here in the us? thank you. pls email me. kdelrosario@gohcp.com thnks!!

btw the cake looks so delish!! prolly doing this cake this Friday for a birthday. and I’m gonna try making it as a cupcake ^_^

I don’t know if it’s the same one as Goldilocks’, but everyone I’ve made this for has said it tastes like–and is even better–than the one from the bakery. It’s not thick, it’s a very light and airy buttercream.

10. Thanks for a nice recipe!

11. angie says:

thanks! gagamitin ko yan sa bakery for Christmas.

Welcome, Tita! Sige, I’ll try to come up with the recipe using almond extract, instead of the liquor, so it will be more economical. I’ll update you when I find the right combo.

12. Frances says:

Fantastic! I can’t wait to give this a try. Now if you have a copykat recipe of the Red Ribbon mango chiffon cake, that would be incredible!!

Hi Frances, unfortunately working on that recipe is not in the near future. I don’t think I’ve eaten it that much that I can remember that it tastes like! And we don’t have a Red Ribbon here in Vancouver for me to try, too. Sorry.

13. Sara says:

Joy, this Mocha cake is gorgeous, my mouth is watering! My best friend is Filipino & she told me about Goldilocks.

14. Tonette says:

Hi,

I’ve been wanting to learn how to make mocha cake and I was excited to see your blog so I tried it this weekend. Unfortunately because I’m not much of a baker, it didn’t turn out at all. It looked like a flat bread that tasted like mocha. I didn’t even continue with the buttercream. Any suggestions? I would really love to try and make this again :)

Hi Tonette, did you whisk the eggs with cream of tartar until you achieved stiff peaks? And did you fold it into the batter? If you just stirred (or beat) it with the batter, then I’m thinking those would be the main reasons for the flat cake. If you are not sure how to “fold”, please check on YouTube for videos on how to fold into batter. I have some step by step photos for the cake, but I still have to edit and post them.

• Tonette says:

Hi Joy,

Yes I whisked the eggs like you said but I guess I didn’t do it right. I will check Youtube. Like I said, I’m not much of a baker so that could be another problem :) I would love to see your photos to. Can’t wait. Then I will try again. I’m going to keep trying until it turns out right. I live here in VA and there is no Goldilocks or Red Ribbon. They sell the mocha cakes at the filipino stores but they don’t taste as good as when you buy them at the actual Goldilocks stores. Who knows how old they are…I will let you know how it turns out. I will probably try again this weekend. Thanks again!

Practice makes perfect. I used to get so nervous when I have to bake a cake because I couldn’t seem to get it right. This is a sponge cake, and as such, needs a lot of air. The sifting, the whisking, and the folding all make a huge difference depending on if you do them right or wrong. Did you find the videos on how to whisk to stiff peaks and how to fold ingredients? I’m so behind on the photos due to other obligations. I really do hope you can make it since you’re not near a Goldilocks shop. :)

15. manilamommy says:

hi joy!! guess what, pancake house just bought goldilocks! :D i’m not sure how that’s going to affect goldilocks though.

Gosh…I hope that’s for the best. I wonder why Goldilocks decided to sell? Benta na lang nila recipes nila in a cookbook kasi. Haha.

16. Tricia says:

Joy! I made this cake the other night using your recipe – I couldn’t believe how much it tasted like the real thing! I miss having a Goldilocks around (from Cali, now in Miami)!

Tricia, I’m SO HAPPY to hear that! I’m sure you must have been spoiled with all the Filipino food in Cali. At least, you can make the mocha cake in Miami. :) I’m still trying to get my lengua de gato right, which is something that I also miss.

17. Joseph says:

Can I buy one from you? It looks really good.

Sure, if you’re in Vancouver and can pick it up. :p It’s worth trying to make it yourself, though! ;-)

• Joseph says:

Yes I am a Pinoy living in Vancouver. I’m really serious in buying one cake from you. Please email me if you’re ok with it. I can pick it up anywhere in Van. Can you also do Goldilocks ube cake? Christmas is coming so I thought of giving homemade cakes to my friends and relatives.

18. Katrina says:

Hi joy! i bought 2 regular 9inch cake pan but i dont have any parchment paper. Do u think i dont need the parchment paper if i use the spring-form pan?

19. Angela says:

THank you SO MUCH for this recipe!
    This cake is the BEST thing ive ever made C:

its just, the cream part..
    I’m not sure what went wrong.. but the egg whites and the coffee & cocoa in water would not go together to form a cream like substance..

it was mostly separated and so it was hard to use
    the taste was right on.. but it did not look very good >0<
    I was wondering if maybe it was because of the alcohol?
    i didnt put that in because well.. im only 15 years old

Could you please help me out? I'd REALLY like to make this again sometime!
    thank you so much!!

Hi Angela, thanks so much for your comment! As for the icing, what do you use to beat them together? Try using a hand mixer on high speed. It takes a while for them to go together, but they will eventually. :) Forget about the alcohol, try adding half a teaspoon of almond extract next time. Good luck! Let me know how it turns out. Cheers.

20. Lorie says:

Hi, what’s the difference between the 1 teaspoon vanilla from the cake ingredient and the vanilla extract used in the buttercream? Is the vanilla in the cake, powder? Thanks.

21. Janie says:

Joy,

THANK you so very much for sharing your wonderful recipe. Although I haven’t tried it yet, my reason for writing is because we were given several Goldilocks “French Sponge Cake Mamon” over the holidays and were blown away by this cake. A quick Google search and I came across your recipe. Your recipe sounds as wonderful as we’re sure you are! ARegards and thanks again!

PS… is any chance we find a copy-cat Goldilocks French Sponge Cake recipe somewhere on-line?

HI Janie, you’re so welcome! The recipe for the cake for this one is the same as the mamon. Just remove the coffee granules and cocoa from the recipe and bake in cupcake pans or fluted brioche tins. The baking time would be less.

22. marivic says:

i just finished baking and frosted the mocha cake……..almost same with goldilocks..my son requested me to bake a mocha cake

23. Maria says:

Hi Joy, thanks for sharing the recipe! It was a big hit with the whole family! I baked the cake for my younger sister’s 21st because her favorite cake is the Goldilocks Mocha Cake. The rest of my family are a big fan of the said cake as well. They were so delighted when I brought it out and they all think it’s almost exactly the same! Well, almost because I had an accident with the almond essence and poured in a bit more than required. Teehee. Next time I make it, I’ll be more careful with the almond essence! Apart from that, they said that if they close their eyes, they think that it’s definitely the real thing. Praises like this from people who knows the flavor of the mocha cake too well means that this recipe is definitely a success and I’ll be baking more of it in the future.

Cheers to you Joy! I’ll be looking forward to more recipes you post. :) More power and God Bless!

Maria, I’m so happy to hear that! This is why I love to share the recipes, especially from back home. :) I bake this at least once a month because we all love it, too. I’m glad other people can enjoy it, too.

24. I love the goldilocks mocha cake. Can’t wait to try it! :-)

Can I susbstitutde cake flour with all-purpose high grade flour?

T

25. hi there….i’m so happy to discover your blog. I love Goldilocks’ mocha cake but sadly it’s not available here in NZ.

I have a question on the ingredients. Can I substitute cake flour with high-grade all-purpose flour?

Thanks

Hi MrsG, I’ve never tried substituting it with AP flour. I checked online and the substitute for cake flour is 3/4 cup (105 grams) all purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons (30 grams) cornstarch. Mix and sift twice.

• MrsA from NZ/Australia says:

Hi Mrs G,

To make cake flour, I read in one of my mother-in-law’s cookbooks, mix 1/4 cup cornflour with 3/4 cups plain flour. Sift two or three times.

High grade all purpse flour is mostly used for bread making, fruit cakes and the like, not for spongy cakes.

I hope this info helps.

26. Jill says:

hi Joy

I’m excited to try this cake but i’m just wondering what is the butter-sugar paste stated in step 3?

3. Dissolve espresso or coffee granules and cocoa powder in water and vanilla in a small bowl, getting rid of lumps while stirring. Pour into the butter-sugar paste, along with canola oil, and beat until well combined.

I’m a little confused with this one. Hope you can enlighten me.

Thanks, Jill.

27. Leng S. says:

This looks promising! I might do this recipe this coming weekend. Have you tried using this recipe for cupcakes? :)

Leng, yes, very successfully. Just decrease the amount of baking time — I can’t remember how long, but I would start checking at 10-12 mins. Just fill the cups 3/4 full. Let me know how it goes!

28. Cecille says:

Hi Joy!

I love your blog! I”m filipino and I have never made this cake myself, but after reading your post, I’m definitely gonna give it a try! Have you tried it yet with almond extract instead of the amaretto?

29. Lanie says:

Hi joy!

Iv been searching for the best mocha cake until i found you!!! im so delighted looking at the photo this is the same as Goldolocks! I will definitely try this this week. But then have you tried substituting almond extract to amarreto? Is it ok? Because i went to the supermarket earlier and it comes in big bottles which costs about £10 when the recipe only calls for a few
    tablespoon? Thanks again for sharing!!!

30. charise says:

hi joy!!!i will definitely give it a try. just wondering any substitute for amaretto??it’s quite expensive here in uk.

31. abby says:

Hi Joy, I really want to try this can I substitute amaretto flavor or extract instead of the liquer.
    Thanks

You can try amaretto flavor or even almond extract. Just put a few drops at a time and taste it. I don’t know the exact proportions if you use the extract.

32. Lanie says:

Hi joy!
    It doest matter answering my question i bought amarreto and really it has a big contribution on yhe taste of the icing. I made this for a church potlock and it was a big hit! Really it tastes like the real Goldilocks! Ang galing galing mo. At first i thought it was a disaster because my frosting curdled! I googled how yo troubleshoot a curdled frosting and like magic it yurned out to be the delicious mocha icing. The reason for curdling is that the icing is not warm enough so i put the mixing bowl in another bowl with hot water! Indeed it was so effective. Now i have a problem again! I was flooded with requests to bake more. :)). How can i make this mixture double? To make a bigger cake? Double or triple the ingredients? Please help. Thanks so much!!

That’s great to hear! The curdling happens only at the beginning of the mixing, but you just have to continue mixing and it will all come out fluffy! You can easily double the recipe — both for the cake and the icing. I’ve done all these in 3 batches at once and they all worked out perfectly. The thing about the cake, though, is that you have to know how to estimate the proportion that goes to the baking pans you’re going to use, so it helps if you’ve baked it single batch to see how to divide the batter.

33. Al says:

Hi Joy! I was looking for a mocha cake recipe for my kumare’s birthday at the end of the month and I came across your website. My cake turned out well however its the frosting that became my nightmare! As soon as I started mixing in the coffee, the mixture started splitting. I ended up with coffee at the bottom of the bowl with clumps of fat on the top. I tried it again with a cooled coffee thinking it was the temperature that caused it to split but the same thing happened. What do you think happened here?

Al, you just have to continue mixing. The liquid and the butter will combine in a airy fluff after a few minutes.

34. Al says:

Thanks Joy! I’ll do what you suggested and I’ll let you you how I get on. Apart from that disaster, the taste was totally awesome!

Many thanks again!

35. yuu says:

Hi..thanks a lot for this recipe..i just tried this yesterday and turned out perfect ala Goldilocks tlga…but i didnt use amaretto on the buttercream bcoz i dnt know if its available here in japland so i skipped…i really love this recipe…

36. Al says:

Tried the recipe again last night for simple dinner with friends…cake like before, turned out well and the frosting was fantastic! Does take a bit of time to get the consistency for spreading but it did get there. I’ve got a lovely cake now for my Kumare’s birthday, thanks Joy!

37. Lanie says:

Hi, I have a question regarding the sugar in buttercream, is it granulated or powdered? Thanks so much for sharing your recipes.

38. Melanie says:

Hi! Thanks for sharing the recipe! I can’t wait to try it! I just have 1 question on the ingredients. Is it right, only 1 tsp. water in the batter? I thought maybe it meant 1 cup. Thanks again. Can’t wait to hear from you so I can start making it.

39. melanie` says:

Hi! Thanks for sharing the recipe! I just wanted to clarify one of the ingredients…. only 1 tsp. water on the cake batter? I just wanted to double check it’s not a typo. Hope to hear from you soon, I can’t wait to try it!

40. Malou says:

Just want to asked if this really sure that u used only 1cup of flour?

Yes, just 1 cup of CAKE flour. It’s a sponge cake so the whipped egg whites will provide some of the “meat” of the cake.

41. emm says:

Recipe is missing salt – made half the recipe so I used 1/4 teaspoon salt. Liked the texture and next time will add more coffee, couldn’t really taste it, and a tad more sugar. Congrats on a good recipe!

42. Aimee says:

I can’t wait to try making it.
    Instead of a round cake, does the recipe cover a 10″ square pan? If so, how long would you bake it in the oven?

43. AJ says:

Can I use the same recipe for cupcake form? Is there anything different I need to do?

Yes, you can use it for cupcakes, but the baking time would be less. I’m not sure of the exact time, though, so you will have to experiment.

44. kaye says:

it it ok w/o amaretto?will it make any difference on its taste?

45. Gela says:

Hi! i LOVE your recipe!!! thanks so much! I was just wondering if it was possible to bake the cake so that when it comes out, the top is flat. Or do i have to cut the top off to make it flat after it comes out? >U< Thank you so much!

46. bac2instruville says:

Thank you so much for sharing a simple, nice and delish recipe. I’m a professional baker and cake decorated in search of a good old fashioned Filipino style Mocha Cake. And was lucky enough to find your blog. I’m visiting Manila ( originally from Cali) with my son Jake and was asked to teach some baking tricks to my husband’s nephew, Lucky me that I found your recipe and the cake became an instant hit to the family. It taste exactly like Goldilocks and Joni’s Cakes,even better cause it’s homemade and not mass produced. I wished I could post the pictures here….thanks again for sharing!

That’s great! Email me the photos at gourmeted /at/ gmail /dot/ come so I can see — would love to share what others are doing with the recipe. :) Thanks for stopping by, hun.

47. Joyce says:

Hi Joy,

Ive always loved Moccha cake! What a blessing I found your site with the perfect moccha cake recipe. It was a lot of work to be honest, but it was well worth it! Everyone loved it! The buttercream was also perfect! Only one question I have to ask, can I use a sheet cake
    to bake this? If so, what size is the best for this recipe? The round cake was not enough in our household!

Thanks for sharing!

48. ineza says:

You`re such a nice person of sharing with us this fantastic mocha cake recipe. You made a lot of people happy for doing such. I can`t waiy making it this friday for my hubby`s birthday. We’re both a big mocha cake fan. I`ll let you know about the result after the big excitibg day. Thanks again.

49. Joel says:

I just baked this today. I may have left it in the oven a minute or two too long as it appears to be dry. I was wondering if you ever tried adding a simple syrup (plus coffee flavor) to the layers to moisten them before applying frosting.

50. Apple says:

My friend baked this cake and OMG it was so yummy! Thanks! Even her 5 year old nephew said “you are the best cake maker aunt!” We all love it! More power!

Yay! I’m thrilled a lot of people are enjoying this recipe. Ha…easy on the alcohol on the icing with the 5yo…:D

51. Christine says:

Joy, thanks so much for sharing this recipe! I have made mocha cake several times before, tweaking and combining different mocha cake recipes along the way, but this is by far the best. The cake is light and spongy, just the way I want it to be. And the buttercream icing is delicious! The amaretto was the one thing missing in my previous attemps at making making mocha icing. Definitely should not forego or substitute it with anything else. Thanks again. This recipe is a keeper!

Thanks, Christine! I’m so glad it worked out for you. It still is my most-requested baked good of all time. :)

• Alaine says:

Thank you so much for sharing this awesome recipe. I did it right the first time and it’s really better than Goldilocks cake. I did not use the amaretto but the icing still taste like Goldilocks. Two thumbs up to the recipe.

52. Eliss says:

Thank you. I just tried this. The batter and icing tasted great but moment of truth comes tomorrow :) thanks for posting!

53. Ar says:

hi..

3. Dissolve espresso or coffee granules and cocoa powder in water and vanilla in a small bowl, getting rid of lumps while stirring. Pour into the egg-sugar mixture, along with canola oil, and beat until well combined.

is 1 teaspoon of water enough to dissolve?

• jazmin says:

this is also my question, is 1 tsp enough to dissolve the coffee, cocoa etc?
      just seen this recipe today and want to make it this weekend, but am confuse. please repy back.

54. rowena says:

hi,
    I am happy to have this recipe of your mocha cake..I tried it twice and it turns delicious..My family likes it.But i have one question to know..I followed all your instruction and the ingredients itself,how come my chiffon cake didn’t really raise..I used 2 9×2 cake pan and also i tried 1 10″X2″ square pan..Is there something wrong of my baking?pls let me know..thanks a lot.

I wish you a nice weekend
    rowena

Hi Rowena, which cake flour did you use? Also folding the whites is key. You have to have a light hand and don’t overmix.

55. Anne says:

hi there, just wondering if i have to use amarreto? is it really important? what does it exactly do to the icing? thnks!

Hi Anne, it’s an important flavor for the icing if you want to get the taste. I’ve never tried making the icing without it.

56. Vicky says:

Thanks Joy for posting this! I love the mocha roll cake from Goldilock’s as much as you do! We have one of their bakery shops here in California (about 2 towns away) and my Lola would pick up a roll for me whenever my mom and her would be in that area. I love to bake and always thought about trying to copy it so I could make it whenever I wanted. The fact that you did this, and it supposedly tastes identical, has me so excited! Can’t wait to make this, thank you!

Vicky, you’re welcome! Please let me know if you make it and what you think of it. I’ve made it numerous times and everyone loves it. :)

57. irene says:

ive tried this, really yummy!

58. lynn says:

hi,
    i’m really want to try your recipe. being just new in baking, can i ask where can i find the AMARETTO. is it available in any groceries like SM.
    thank you, god bless!!!!

Hi Lynn, you should be able to find amaretto at liquor stores. I don’t think SM would have it, but I could be wrong. I haven’t been back in the Philippines for almost a decade. Sorry!

59. Jenete says:

Hello! just want to ask for the preparation for the butter cream. Yun pong water should not touch the bottom of the bowl and kaylangan ko po bang ilagay sa stove yum para painitin. Sana po magkaron kayo ng video ng paggawa nito. thanks a lot…:)

Hi Jenete, yes, the water should not touch the bottom of the bowl. Just grab a pan, put water in it, and get a bowl that’s bigger than the pan so that it just hangs on the mouth of the pan. Sorry, I won’t be making a video for this.

60. mimi says:

Hi Joy..how come the icing did not work for me :9 when i added the coffe mixture the icing just fall. did you use icing sugar?

61. Steve says:

Does the cake need to be refrigerated with this frostibg?

62. rubi slater says:

Hi Joy,

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I love mocha cake esp. from Goldilocks. Can’t wait to try it. Do you also have a recipe for Nelusko Cake? It’s one of Goldilocks’ best cakes too. Thank you so much for sharing..

63. paula says:

hi ms joy! do you think this recipe can work as cupcakes? thanks!

Yes! I’ve done it once and it works. I can’t remember how many cupcakes it makes though, and how long the baking time was.

64. ces says:

hi. I just wonder, what if i don’t have the cream of tartar? Is thre a substitution or should I just ignore it?

Hi Ces, the cream of tartar stabilizes the egg whites, to make the cake sponge-y. I’ve never used a substitute, but I’ve heard of using lemon juice in 1:1 proportion as substitute. I can’t vouch for it, though.

65. Ruby says:

Thank you so much Joy for posting this recipe! I used this recipe to make my cousin’s 6-tiered wedding cake. It was exactly what the mother of the bride was looking for (a mocha sponge cake that wasn’t too sweet). It baked perfectly in a 16″ pan without burning or drying out on the edges or being undercooked in the center. It also baked rather evenly in that it didn’t dome in the center and eliminated the added step of having to shave off the top to get a flat and even surface. Each tier was 3 layers and about 4″ tall. The bride didn’t give me her cake flavor request until only 1 week before the wedding. I didn’t have a sponge cake recipe and your recipe was the only one that read as though it was what the bride was asking for. I wasn’t able to test your recipe out until only 2 days before the wedding. You don’t know how thrilled I was when I took my first bite of your wonderful cake as I was in panic mode at this point. You are truly a lifesaver! Thank you!!!

Ruby, what a great story…so happy I’ve been able to “help” and be a part of the wedding somehow. Yes, you’re right, it doesn’t dome or cave when done right. :) And you’re welcome! So glad more people are enjoying it.

• Kristine says:

Hi Ruby,

Did you use the same icing recipe to decorate?

Thanks
      Kristine

66. Noreen says:

Hi! I tried your mocha chiffon recipe and it was so yummm! There’s something I didn’t do right though, coz the bottom part, about an inch or 2 was not light and fluffy as the top part. It was hard and sticky. What do you think did I not do right? I was thinking, I must not have mixed the flour mixture & the eggwhite well? I was very careful not to over mix it. Any tips so this won’t happe again?
    Thanks :)

67. Dan says:

Hi joy,

The cake is great, but the consistency of the icing didn’t work for me but the taste is good. It turned out like a paste. The coffee mixture didn’t mix well with butter.

Thanks for posting the recipe.

68. rv says:

wat is the best substitute for cake flour, m from the uk and its quite difficult to find one tnx

69. chris says:

Thanks for sharing the recipe. Can’t wait to try it!

70. Marge says:

Thank you for sharing this amazing recipe!!!

71. reena says:

Hi Joy
    I made the bestest cake ever yest..it was so yumm..i didnt use amaretto..instead i added a bit more of coffee for that extra coffee kick..i’ve had this cake in my childhood and had been wanting to eat the same cake again since ages..i searched the internet for filipino mocha cake and found your recipe..thanks a ton..by the way, the buttercream hardens in the fridge right ? so i have to keep it outside few hours before serving right ?

72. cilla says:

i was just wondering if 1 teaspoon of water enough to dissolve the coffee and cocoa powder? last time i tried this for a frosting it was too bitter. I’d appreciate for an advise.

If you look at the recipe, there is additional liquid in the form of amaretto and vanilla extract. The combination of all 3 liquids would be enough to dissolve the coffee and cocoa.

73. grace21 says:

hi just want to ask if you have a video on how to do this? thanks.

74. hi joy,is there any alternative for the amaretto?

75. Cake lover says:

Absolutely love this recipe. So delicious!! Thank you so much for posting.

76. mae says:

Hello! I just want you to know that I’ve tried your recipe and it’s really delicious though I have not use amaretto since I can’t find one here. The cake was really a success I got many compliments. I posted it on my blog that also gives credit on your site. Thanks a million for sharing this recipe. This recipe is definitely a keeper!God bless

77. Ivy says:

Hi Joy

What flour do you use?I know flour can make a big difference and Ive only ever used all-purpose flour for baking cakes. also how many servings does this recipe make?

The reviews look so good! Cant wait to try this.

78. Joy says:

Thanks for this recipe! Just a bit confused with the parchment paper.. does it go inbetween the cake and the pan, or on top of the cake?

79. Ms. A. says:

Hi! is the egg yolk and flour mixture naturally dry before you fold it in to the egg white mixture? i’d appreciate a response. thanks!

80. Kym says:

Your recipe sounds great and I am going to try it for my Mother-in-Law’s 85th birthday celebration this weekend. (she is Philo so a “goldilocks” cake will really blow her away!Can you tell me the difference between the vanilla you use in the cake part and the vanilla extract you use in the icing.
    Thanks
    Kym

81. Gem T. says:

Hi Joy I tried to do the buttercream twice without success the butter end up separating from the mixture I whisk it longer but still came out too watery. Is the egg white necessary in the buttercream? The cake was delish though. Thanks

Hi Gem, the egg whites is part of this buttercream recipe. There are other no-egg recipes you can try, but I find that whites and butter-based buttercream tastes the best for me.

82. Magic says:

I love this recipe! The taste is heaven. I’m just having a little problem with the rising of the mix. It didn’t rise and the texture is like jelly. I don’t know what I did wrong. I followed all the instructions, except that I didn’t put it on a baking sheet. Could that be a problem? I’m using Maya’s Cake Flour, because that’s all I could find here. Thanks! I hope I could do this better next time. ^_^

83. mergs says:

Can’t wait to try this. Thanks for sharing!

84. daniel says:

thanks for the recipe. it really taste good as goldilocks.im here in the middle east. its hard to find a buttercream frosting because the climate here is extremely hot. i tried it for the first time but i failed.. but after the second trial its perfect..thanks and more power.

85. Nyle Ronquillo says:

I baked this at home for my mom and she loved it…,

First time my mom complimented me at a baked good so I’m really happy
    \\(^w^)//

Thank you for Sharing….n(_ _)n

86. Jamie says:

I followed all the steps perfectly but my buttercream frosting was so liquid-y! The egg white and sugar wouldn’t thicken as marshmallow like as I expected! What happened?

HI Jamie, did you continuously whisk the egg white and sugar mixture while it was being heated? It will turn mostly opaque white and if you dip your finger and feel the texture with your thumb, you won’t feel the sugar granules anymore.

87. Sher says:

hi i want to try this recipe but heard before that frosting with raw egg can build up bacteria like salmonella. what can you say about this? thanks

Hi Sher, the recipe for this icing involves heating the egg whites with the sugar. Always use the freshest eggs you can find (I use organic ones).

88. ludie says:

I have just read your recipe. I has a lot of good comments. I have made chiffon cake before but i can’t make it fluffy. Sometimes it subside and lapsided. Would you pls give some tips so that cake will not subside.

Use cake flour and make sure your egg whites are stiff. Know how to “fold” the egg whites into the batter — over mixing defeats the purpose of having airy egg whites that make your sponge cakes airy and fluffy. I hope that helps. Practice doing it and you’ll do great in no time!

89. Sher says:

thanks. also i want to ask regarding the buttercream, when you’re whisking the egg whites and sugar over the pan of simmering water, do you use a hand-mixer or just a fork? thanks heaps

90. Amanda says:

I am so glad you posted this! I’ve been looking for a mocha cake recipe for years. At one point I was experimenting like you, but I was not as successful. I had the flavor of the cake, but not the texture. I can’t wait to make this! Thanks so much!

91. Machi says:

made this earlier ’cause some of my friends came by… it was supreme. they hadd their seconds and my sister’s keeping on shouting “OISHI! delicioso!” like crazyyy… thanks so much for posting this

92. nancy says:

93. Nee says:

Hi there, I just want to ask.. I just have only one 9×2 round baking pan, can I just use this and take all the ingredients in half?? This is my favorite cake and I want to make it on my own :)

Thanks thanks!! :)

Hi Nee, I’ve never tried just dividing the ingredients by half to bake into one pan, so I can’t really tell you if it would work.

94. Arleen says:

Hi Joy! I can’t wait to try this. I’ve been hunting for this recipe for so long. I got so excited after reading! I hope it will turn out well ;)

95. eagerbaker says:

Can I bake this in one pan instead of two? Would appreciate your advice, thanks

You should be able to, but just remember to increase the baking time and check diligently for doneness.

96. gigi says:

Thanks for this great recipe. I made it for my mother’s birthday last weekend. The icing was PERFECT!!! My 8 yo son licked the bowl clean. I found that cooking the cake in a 350 degree oven worked to make it rise better. But I found it to still be a little on the dry side, not as “airy” as I would like. I am going to get a new box of cake flour as the one I used had been opened a few months already. Also, I was hoping to make a rectangular/regular cake pan size version of the cake. Do you think I could just put all the batter in a 9×13 or should I adjust the temp or cooking time again?

That’s good to hear, Gigi! Baking sponge cake is kind of tricky at first, and the airiness could be a challenge. The whites need to be the right stiffness and you have to be careful not to overmix. Try double sifting the cake flour as well.

You can try baking the batter in one 9×13″ pan, but start checking on the cake after 10 minutes to make sure you don’t over bake it, or it would be dry.

97. Tin says:

98. Tin says:

thanks for this recipe.. pwede bang walang amaretto? wala kasi dito nyan sa middle east, may substitute ba ito? thanks

Hi Tin, you can skip the amaretto. If you can find almond extract (amaretto is almond liqueur) you can use 1/2 teaspoon and add water to compensate for the remaining liquid amaretto so you have enough to dissolve the coffee granules.

99. Charlie says:

Thanks for the recipe! I was wondering – is there any way to replace the coffee granules with actual brewed coffee?

100. Jenny says:

Hey, did you use powdered or granulated sugar for the buttercream? Thanks!

101. Rhea says:

Hello, i have tried to bake this cake 2x before & it went very well. All my friends loved it. Sadly, I’m trying to make it again now but my icing is gooey & i tried to do it again for the 3rd time but it’s still the same. I have done all the step by step procedure. Any suggestion please?=(

Hi Rhea, buttercream sometimes takes a bit of practice. I can’t really tell what could have gone wrong unless I was there in the kitchen with you. Sometimes it’s the butter temperature, sometimes you just have to mix it a little more for everything to mix in.

102. rosaliza says:

isa kang anghel!!! ang tagal ko nang nag hahanap ng recipe ng mocha cake. perpek na perpek. at ang galing ng instructions nyo. very easy to follow! i love you na!

103. Chelsea says:

Hi joy,
    Love to hear that you have able to mimic the cake and the Buttercream… I’ve been dying to make one like yours but sadly all I can do is the swiss meringue buttercream… But I have a problem, where did you buy the amaretto? I couldn’t find it.. And what’s your recipe for the plain buttercream?
    Thank you so much..

104. Zhey says:

Is this frosting a merengue type of icing goldilocks use for their birthday/wedding cakes?really love their icing tnx.. And can i add some food coloring on this? Tnx

105. Hi Joy, what brand of amaretto liquor do you used?

I used Disaronno, but any amaretto liquor should do.

• ahya says:

hello ate joy! Gusto ko po sanang subukan itong receipe mo, pero po may konting problema. Ksi po dito mejo mahirap mgabili ng liquor, tanong ko lang po kung ano pde ireplace sa amaretto liqour? Nag search po ako pde daw mo almiond extract? … Thanks po ate.

HI Ahya, amaretto liqueur is basically almond flavored liqueur. I personally haven’t tried using almond extract for this cake, but what I could suggest is to initially add a drop of the almond extract, mix, then taste. Just add more according to your taste.

106. Jane says:

hi i want to ask what type of sugar did you use for buttercream? is it white sugar granules or the confectioners sugar. it seems like you had a great recipe. i will try this tomrw i just wait your reply for the sugar. thanks so much.

107. Ena says:

I have NEVER commented on anyone’s website or post, EVER! But this deserves a praise! THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this recipe. For novices like me, your instructions are perfect! I love that you point out what tools to use, whether it be a whisk, a paddle, or a wooden spoon. I think all these little tidbits made a difference in the outcome of my cake. It was HEAVENLY at my first try. The cake was light and fluffy; the frosting was divine. Again, thank you!

108. NINGNING says:

hi joy,
    can i substitute cake flour to self raising flour?cake flour is not available here in UK. What is the best substitute?Many thanks, cant wait to try this recipe.

109. christine says:

i was wondering can i use 1 9by13 pan instead cuz i dont have a 9inch round pan

110. Jo says:

The chiffon cake was perfect but the consistency of the icing did not look like yours. It came out runny and looks grainy but smooth to the taste and tastes great. I wonder what went wrong. I followed the recipe to the tee.
    Anyway, thanks for sharing your recipe.

111. Jo says:

I got the perfect consistency for the icing this time. Now i have a perfect mocha cake!!! I think your recipe is even better that Goldilock’s ;) Thanks so much for your generosity for sharing your recipe! Good luck and more power to you!

112. Jam says:

Hi, your recipe looks great! I want to try but would all purpose flour change the texture of the cake? I do not know where to get cake flour..

113. Manang says:

Thank you for posting this recipe and sharing yoru perfected Goldilock’s style mocha chiffon cake! I have tried several recipes before shared by other Filipinas but not wanting me to post their recipe on the web, but I am glad that they requested so because I was not really satisfied with the outcome (too dry for my taste, and the frosting used whipping cream, when I very much doubt was what Goldilocks had for their buttery-tasting frosting. The thing that probably made your recipe better than Goldilocks is the good ingredients you used (we all know that most commercial bakeshops have some sort of cheating especially if they try to sell to more people). In any case, I would like to reiterate thanking you for this, because I would like to try to make this for my son’s 18th bday tomorrow! I may not be able to decorate as good as you do (never did, and it never mattered in this rural place we live in) but I and my family cherish more the taste, and somehow, the more homemade it looks (versus professional commerical look; in other words, bara-barang hirit), the more they feel special. Just baking from scratch makes my family appreciate it more, especially now that I am trying to veer away from pro-inflammatory foods (i.e., sugary, carb-laden highly refined foods). So, while I will now bake only on occasions as a “treat,” deep in my mind, I know I am setting us up for ill effects on our health, but hey…I gotta make life exciting too…Anyway, I’m rambling…I will do this once then get my family back to healthy eating (high good fat, low carb diet) until the next Holiday.

114. Anne says:

please make a video tutorial of how to do the icing…will really appreciate it. many thanks in advance

115. V says:

I just wanted to say how thankful I am that you posted this and I found it! I was really craving mocha cake for my birthday last week and this fit the bill perfectly! I’ve baked this at least 4 times in the past week!! I brought one to a Filipino church function earlier today and everyone loved it and has been asking for the recipe! I’m sharing this page with them, and will be asking a family friend to make this into a full sheet sized cake for my upcoming graduation party. Thanks again!

116. If I dont find the amarretto for the buttercream can I make it without that one ingredient. Is it amaretto extract what you use. I want to make this cake for my moms B-Day in 2 days. Thnx.

117. anna ong says:

hi joy,i wanted to try this recipe for my lolo’s birthday,i just wanted to know if the cake rise too much onced cook coz you mentioned that you will need 9″x2″ round pan and i have here a 9″x1 1/2″ round pan.i know it’s only half inch difference but you think the batter will not comes out from the pan while baking it? thank you…

118. anna ong says:

oh by the way,,can i also use 8″x3″ round pan for this recipe? and if not do you know how much adjustments for the ingredients?
    thanks a lot…

119. Rhia says:

This cake recipe made me popular, Thanks!

Ha, that’s awesome! Good to hear. :)

• Cathy says:

Hi Joy:
        Thanks for the recipe! I made this cake (it’s one of my favorites and I have made it several more times since!) and it is so good! Decided to make another one and brought it to a party, but didn’t mention the name of this cake; however one of my friends had a slice and then asked if it was a mocha cake from Goldilocks! The ultimate compliment! Told her it wasn’t from Goldilocks but I made it from a recipe and gave her your website post! She said the mocha cake tasted great/just as good! So, you really did a great job on this recipe! Thanks again!

So happy to hear that, Cathy! It tastes like Goldilocks, but you know all the ingredients that go into it and you can have it anytime. :)

120. MrsKooting says:

Excellent mocha cake recipe! My family devoured the entire cake! I made mine into a roll and follow the exact same procedure as instructed. Now my husband wants me to make more to serve for his monthly meeting! :) Just a note that the icing will be “curdly.” Dont be discouraged and dont stop beating/mixing and it will come out beautifully. THANK YOU so much for sharing your recipe! :)

121. Nina says:

Hello, I just want to thank you for posting this recipe. We had a small gathering last night with my family and friends and we had this for our dessert, they all loved it.

God bless!

122. maple kist says:

the icing is superb….and to that i only used french almond extract cause the grocery ran out of amaretto when i went to buy one. i never thought that swiss buttercream is what they use.. thanks a lot for sharing this recipe. havent tried the chiffon as i am bringing the cake to work tomorrow but thanks again!

123. Monitevdd says:

This recipe was perfect! Explained so well!!! I was able to make this wonderful cake for my husband’s birthday. (His favorite from childhood.) The only cake eaten completely, didn’t have to throw any away. Thank you for sharing.

124. tess says:

thank you so much for posting. I made it last night for a dinner gathering and you technically made everyone happy. God bless you!

125. Lei the Student says:

made it for my final test in baking class…, my teacher gave me a really high grade …,thanks for posting & sharing this recipe ^w^

umm..,i like to try this recipe into cupcakes..,i wonder how many minutes it should be bake and what temp. should i use?

126. Sharon says:

Thank you so much for tis recipe. I love your step-by-step procedure and the pdf file. I will try it as soon as possible. God bless you more!

127. Abby says:

Hi. We’re can I buy amaretto liqueur?

128. Abby says:

Thank you soon much for this recipe. The buttercream was really a success! I soo love the aroma of the coffee and the consistency of the frosting.. Thanks a lot..

129. bianca says:

Hello. Just wondering if I can use fine ground coffee rather than instant coffee?

Looking forward to making this. I’ll keep you posted on the outcome.

Hi Bianca, the fine ground coffee might impart too much taste. I would brew some of it and use the same amount to replace the coffee.

130. sha says:

kya po ba to gawin khit sa turbo broiler lng?

It should be fine as long as your baking sheet fits in the broiler. You may have to decrease the baking temperature about 50 degrees lower and check for doneness before 15 minutes just to make sure the cake doesn’t get burnt or too dry.

131. Peachy says:

This recipe is so gooooood! I’ve tried this without the amaretto and the flavor is like Goldilocks. :) the texture & flavor of cake matches well with the buttercream. I will definitely use this recipe again. Two thumbs up! Thanks for sharing this recipe! :)

132. Jlog says:

i just want to know what kind of sugar you use for buttercream.is it granulated white sugar or confectioners sugar? i need your reply ASAP I want to do this recipe tomorrow! thsnks

133. Pats says:

Hi! Thanks a lot for sharing this recipe. I made this cake yesterday for my brother’s birthday and everybody loved it! Goldilocks Mocha cake is his favorite and he said the cake I made tasted exactly like it. I am also here in Vancouver. Thanks again! :)

Hi Pats, you are so very welcome! I’m glad your guests loved it. Thanks for taking the time to give me some feedback. Cheers.

134. Jhen says:

Hi Joy,
    Mocha cake is my favorite,so I tried to make it,but the bettercream didnt turn out right,I dont know what I did wrong:(

Hi Jhen, have you made buttercream before? Depending on your baking experience, you might have to experiment with it a few times. If you already have a go-to vanilla buttercream recipe that works for you, you can just add the mocha flavorings to it and see if that works.

135. Ronnie says:

Hi,

Tried it today and came out perfectly…absolutely divine!
    My question is whether it should be refrigerated? I didn’t because there was no mention to do so, but curious since it’s a buttercream frosting.

136. Lois says:

Loving it. Very close to the “real thing”. Have made it twice. We liked it better using 8 oz. of butter in the buttercream instead of 12 oz. Will try reducing it even more so that it doesn’t seem so artery-clogging.

137. Beb says:

hello ms. joy.
    you are amazing! this is one perfect for me. I actually looking for this recipe and i thank God I found your site. pls keep posting more cakes recipe..
    more power to you and God bless you.

Hugs!
    Beb

138. Lee says:

Hello!
    I was wondering when should I take the cake from the pan?
    Just right after baked or when it completely cooled?
    Thank you!

139. Kimmy says:

Hi there! Can i use nescafe 3-in-1 coffee, or i need to use the original nescafe coffee? By the way, thank you for the food for the gods recipe! I’ve been using it for a couple of years now. It’s the best! Thanks again and hope to get a reply from you soon. I plan to make the mocha cake for my husband’s birthday, this Easter.

Hi Kimmy, the original would be the best (i.e. plain coffee). And I’m glad to hear to Food For the Gods recipe has worked out for you. :)

140. Kristine says:

Hi Joy!

I’m so happy to have come across your blog! Very excited to try this out on the weekend, but wanted to know if the butter icing is stiff enough to decorate with? If not do you have a recipe that would work or something you think I can add to this one?

Thanks
    Kristine

141. therine says:

Hello, right after n nakuha ko ang recipe po, bnake ko n cia at d ako mkpaniwalng nperfect ko cia, nptalon nga me s tuwa, sana chocolate cake nmn ng goldilocks s susunod…godbless!

142. Angelina says:

If I want to make a vanilla cake using this recipe, would it work if I omit the cofee and cocoa powder but keep everything else the same?

Thanks

143. anne palabyab says:

hello joy..can i add kalua liquer instead of the amaretto? thanks..

144. Kathleen says:

Hi! I don’t think there is cream of tartar available in the country where I am staying. Jumped from one grocery store to another, still can’t find any. Will the cake be fine without that ingredient? Thanks!

Hi Kathleen, they cake would still taste like cake, but it just might not be as airy/fluffy as you would expect.

145. verlyn says:

what can i substitue to amaretto?

146. Jen M. says:

Hi! Goldilock’s Mocha Cake is heaven to me whenever I celebrate my birthday as a kid. I made this for the first time and man! Your recipe is exactly the same! Thank you for sharing.

p.s. I didn’t have the amaretto, but it is still yummy!

147. cecilia says:

hi thanks for sharing this. ive been wanting to make one that tastes like goldilocks. however, do u have a sub for amaretto. we dont have it here in Saudi Arabia.thanks!

Hi Cecilia, some of the readers have skipped amaretto and they said it’s still good. I’d suggest just skipping it altogether.

148. Alpha says:

Hi! Joy.. I try this recipe but my problem is the cake it self siksik sya..hnd ko alam kung bakit Pls help me para umalsa sya…sinunod ko nmn ang procedures.Thanks

149. Lauire says:

Followed your recipe to a T. except I used powdered sugar and an envelope of plain gelatin, as we have a heat index of 110 today. I did not want the icing to melt. Can’t wait for the family to come home and try it.

150. khai morger says:

thanks for the reciepe,easy to follow.God bless

151. im-me says:

miss ano substitute ng amaretto.pls reply

152. Lorraine Hornejas Suleman says:

Hi,
    I was extremely excited finding your recipe in google.knowing that the recipe is said to be ala goldilocks.Apparently, following and trying your recipe I find it not right something missing with your recipe since the mocha batter ends up so hard to dollop into the eggwhite mixture…it’s a bit postrating actually. Am not happy with its outcome.

153. Pamela says:

I would like to thank you for posting this recipe, I miss goldilocks mocha cake and since I cannot get it here in uk , I bake it myself using your recipe , my husband and in laws were very impressed . Most of my friends asked me if there is already goldilocks in London? Thank you so much, I did not have any problem following recipe and it really turnd out like goldilocks!!

154. GG says:

Hello, I loved the look and sound of this cake and just tried making it last night. However, I think I am having problems. The cake itself looks like it collapsed, the layers are very small. Is this right? I’m going to ice it anyway, and see what happens. But any advice on why it would have collapsed, or to let me know if the layers are actually that short, would be a great help.
    Here goes nothing! Fingers crossed. Thank you.

Hi GG, whisking the egg whites and carefully folding it in take some practice. Also make sure your oven temperature is not higher than it’s supposed to be. If you’re making a roll, the cake would be less than an inch thick. If you’re making a 9-inch round cake, it would be more than an inch thick.

155. kim says:

Hi Ms. Joy, I’m new to baking and would really love to try out your recipe for a mocha cake. I checked the flour in the grocery here in NZ and all I see are high grade flour and standard flour. Which one would I use in lieu of the cake flour in your recipe? What changes would there be in your recipe if I use either of the two? Thanks so much!

Hi Kim, I’m not sure what the differences are between your high grade and standard flour. Look for the flour with the least protein content of the flour to substitute for cake flour.

156. Tina says:

Hi Joy – I haven’t tried this recipe as of yet, but I’m excited to do so as it is my Dad’s ultimate favorite cake. Your mocha buttercream is very similar to italian buttercream which I do a lot, so I don’t anticipate any problems doing it. Wish me luck! Thanks again for sharing.

157. Cheryl says:

Hi,

I’ve tried this recipe but it turned out hard. I’ve researched more and step no. 5 is a bit wrong. “Whisk egg whites and cream of tartar into stiff peaks”. No matter how I tried, I could never reach that stiff peaks and now I know why. The sugar should be divided so the other half can be added in the egg white. It will help the mixture creamy and it helps in achieving the stiff peaks as well.

Hi Cheryl, I’ve made this cake numerous times with the exact steps above and they have turned out right. I realize that one process won’t work for everyone, so please feel free to do whatever works for you and your baking setup.

158. Jhuls says:

Hello! I have made this cake and it was beyond delicious!! Thank you for sharing!! I posted it on my blog foy my birthday post: http://thenotsocreativecook.wordpress.com/2013/10/18/thirty-two-years-younger-lol/

159. Maribel says:

Hi, I am excited to try this recipe. Your cake looks so perfect and delicious. Have you tried making a roll? Was it difficult?

160. Xue says:

Hi!

Have you tried making cupcake versions of this one using the same recipe? How many servings will it yield? I’m planning sana to make one :) Thanks!

Hi Xue, sorry, I haven’t tried making cupcake versions of the same recipe. I usually don’t use a sponge cake recipe for cupcakes.

161. Reg says:

Hi, I can’t wait to try this recipe. I’m thinking of making it for my daughter’s Bday. Have you tried making cake ahead of time and then freezing it? I wanted to make the cake ahead of time to save time; freeze it then I’ll just make the icing and assemble it on the day of the party. Will it change the texture and taste of the cake? ….Thanks!

I’ve made the cake ahead of time (but not the roll) and kept it in the freezer. It works perfectly fine, just thaw in the fridge for at least half a day.

162. Agot says:

Hi ask ko Lang sa buttercream need ko ba beat muna yung egg whites and sugar after they melted sa heat? Kc liquid Lang tlga yung icing di sya nag formed. Na buttercream :(( plss hope to answer this simple quest. Thank you, seems like. Skip 1 step kc

163. Christine says:

Joy,

I want to thank you so much for sharing this recipe. You are the best! I made it this week and it was absolutely delicious! Copied it to the T, right down to the grated chocolate topping on top. Everyone loved it and agreed it was better than Goldilocks’. I had about a cup of icing leftover. Next time I will thicken the icing in between the two layers. I am planning to make this again for a friend’s birthday in a couple of weeks. :)

164. ces says:

Can i use this recipe for ube cake?

165. Deewata says:

I’ve made a couple of your Mocha Cakes already. My Family and Friends really loved it. Thanks so much Joy for Sharing this recipe…

:-)

166. magi says:

Tried it, and it’s awesome. Kids love it. thanks for the recipe. Btw, just saw a blog posting exactly your recipe. http://eatandrunchronicles.blogspot.com/2014/08/mocha-cake-goldilocks-style.html

167. Aj says:

Hi tita..ive just finished baking this cake using your recipe. It turned out great!!! I love the icing, it is very similar to goldilocks’ mocha icing! Thank u so much for sharing your recipe! Living in Australia, i have terribly missed my Goldilocks mocha cake :( so now that i am able to make something very similar to goldilocks’ version :) i am very grateful to u!

By any chance do u know how to make their ‘choco roll’ also? Lol

Thanks po ulit :)

168. corgi says:

tried this recipe and couldn’t stop eating it. But i want to ask why my icing turned out curdly. What did i do wrong?

169. joy says:

Just keep on beating/mixing it. It will come together, I promise.

170. mars says:

171. Melissa says:

Hi Joy!

I was just wondering if you know if this cake would be dense enough to work under fondant? Or maybe like you mentioned previously I could switch the cake flour for All-Purpose to get a more dense result?

Look forward to your reply!
    Thanks so much :)

Melissa

172. joy says:

Hi Melissa, I have actually tried this cake with fondant (not baked in a sheet pan, but in a regular round pan) and it worked fine if served the first day. It sagged a bit in some areas the second day where there was additional weight. If it’s just a layer of fondant (with buttercream underneath) to cover the cake, then it should work.

You can try all-purpose flour, but you might have better luck baking a vanilla cake for stability. Hope that helps!

173. Melissa says:

Hi again Joy!

Sorry I didnt see your reply until now! lol

I’m actually baking the cake for a philipino wedding. The cake will be 2 tiers and will be under fondant for at least a day or 2 before the wedding. When you say your sagged after a bit, was it a single tier? Do you think it will still sag if I have the dowels to support it?

If I were to do a Vanilla cake instead, would there be a way to give it a mocha flavour some how?

Thanks so much again for your advice!

Melissa

174. yepp says:

Hello Ms.Joy, I have some problems in making the icing for this cake.. My cake always turn out great but I fail in the icing ALL THE TIME.. I need your advice.
    I followed every step in this recipe but the icing always separate..=(
    Please help me with this..
    Thank you so much!

175. joy says:

Hi Melissa, it was a 2 layer cake without dowels. I’m not sure the crumb of the cake can support dowels. For the vanilla cake, mix the coffee granules and cocoa with the vanilla extract to give it a mocha flavor. It always works for me. :)

176. joy says:

Hi Yepp, it’s challenging to really tell which step is contributing to your icing issues, but I’m thinking it could be the meringue. It takes a bit of practice to make a successful buttercream. When does it separate? Do you use a hand mixer?

177. Lle Wilyn says:

Hello po! I have made this cake for the first time and it turned out great, it’s so delicious. I made this for my British employer and they really loved it. I will definitely use this recipe again and again….Thank you so much for sharing this recipe :-)

178. joy says:

You’re welcome! That’s good to hear and congrats on making a successful cake.

1. [...] Vanilla Italian Meringue Buttercream Adapted from Gourmeted [...]

2. [...] with the Filipino community . The cake was really a success  I got so many compliments. Thanks to http://gourmeted.com/2010/10/13/mocha-cake-ala-goldilocks/ #gallery-1 { margin: auto; } #gallery-1 .gallery-item { float: left; margin-top: 10px; text-align: [...]

3. [...] used the same recipe that I used before, but this time, I was careful not to mix it too much–just enough to get [...]

4. [...] they’re all in the west coast. So after hours of researching, I stumbled upon this website. I gave this person’s recipe a try. I must say, it definitely tasted just like the cake I ate [...]

5. [...] is my version of Mocha Cake ala Goldilocks, click here for its original recipe. I made the original version last year and it’s really good. This [...]

6. [...] for. Patiently, I searched and searched. Nothing. Until a friend of mine, Joyce, gave me this site. Gosh! I was drooling the exact moment I opened the site. [...]