The Mummy Diaries, Part 1: Spanaspookyta

Up until we moved from Manila, the Halloween holidays were spent going to cemeteries to visit our loved ones who passed away. We begin this cemetery-hopping with family from All Saints Day through All Souls Day. They weren’t ever about parties or making ghoulish treats, which would seem inappropriate when you’re visiting your loved ones’ graves. Nowadays it’s a long way from “home” to do our annual visits. I haven’t forgotten our roots, but I’m slowly adapting Western Halloween festivities. When in Rome, do as the Romans do, right?

Fact: I avoid horror movies and can’t watch them alone. I can’t handle haunted houses, unless you can stand me screaming my brain off, then your brain off. I’m afraid of the dark. Halloween food and costume parties are as far as I’d go for Halloween. Thanks to Renee‘s #GreatHallowTweet BlogHop, I’m getting into the spirit! I’m fumbling my way through while my Hallow cohorts have better things up their sleeve. Look for the pumpkin on the sidebar and click on their links to see what they’re up to. Whooo!!!

My first Halloween “treat” for you this year isn’t a sweet treat and requires some imagination…so forgive me. I love vegetables. For some people, knowing that this has spinach inside it is spooky in itself. Haha. [You can also check out last year's Macawrongs.]

Mummified spanakopita!

If you poke a couple of holes with the tip of knife, boring through the filo to a glimpse of the spinach before baking, the "eyes" would well up like this.

I’ve included some photos of the process of mummifying them. These are basically snack size and would also make excellent appetizers! I already have half of mine in the freezer for later.

Spread the spinach mixture (use your go-to spanakopita filling recipe) on two filo sheets greased with olive oil or butter.

Fold over, and slice the whole length of filled filo into 2-inch width strips. You will end up with about 12 filo mummies. If you do, you will need 4 more filo sheets to for mummification.

To create the mummification strips, brush half of a single filo dough and fold crosswise. Cut in half.

For one of that halves: Cut into quarters. For the other, cut into 8 strips crosswise, which will be the mummy strips.

Get one of the quarter sheet and fold over one of the spanakopita pieces.

Use a dab of olive oil to stick them together if needed.

Lightly and sparsely brush the thin strips of filo pastry with olive oil and wrap around to create the mummy effect.

Tadah!

29 Responses to “The Mummy Diaries, Part 1: Spanaspookyta”

1. Tracy says:

Oh my goodness, these are SO cute! A perfect #GreatHallowTweet recipe! :-)

2. Cute idea! Nice to have an alternative to the Mummy Hot Dog, lol!

Totally. As much as I love the cuteness of the mummy hotdog, there’s only so much of it I can eat without thinking I’m going to be sick. :)

Oh! I love this! I could happily eat a whole pan of these.

4. Judy says:

What a clever idea! This is something I am going to try!!!

5. RJ Flamingo says:

These are too – freaking – CUTE!!! I love them! You are so clever… I’m totally making these. I’m so glad you’re playing with us, this week! xox

Thanks, Renee! Haha…yeah, admittedly, this was born out of the need for something healthier for Halloween. :) I’m SO, SO glad I joined GreatHallowTweet again!

6. Jamie says:

OMG Joy these are hysterical and brilliant! Now, I make these as individual triangles but who would have ever thought to turn them into Halloween treats? YOU! I love them!

Thanks, Jamie. I usually make them into triangles and freeze for last-minute snacks, but it’s nice to have something savory and spooky, too. :)

7. Megan says:

What a terrific appetizer, mummified or not! A great little bite to have on hand in the freezer!

8. April says:

How cute are these?? Love them!

9. hope chest says:

I love it! The looked so adorable. My sister makes it into different shapes.

10. kat says:

That is just too clever with the little eyes!

11. Megan Gordon says:

So creative, Joy! Love it…I have this great recipe for spanakopita that I haven’t made in quite some time. As I recall, it had an obscene amount of steps. Love your photos walking us through the process. Happy Halloween!

12. Amanda says:

These are so cute and so creative! I love them! They’re so cute I don’t think it needs to be halloween to make them!

13. Mel says:

(I found this because it’s posted on Pinterest, hence the Feb comment on an Oct post! =P)

These are adorable! I’m thinking, while I enjoy spinach, that alone is a little too drab for me, but adding some other veg(gies) with it, maybe some cheese…a tasty little treat indeed! Thanks for the idea!!

14. Love these and included them in my Halloween Recipes post! So cute.

1. [...] 01. Formaggini a forma di scheletro | 02. Meringhe a forma di fantasmini | 03. Biscotti con occhietti 04.  Mini zucche con pasta ai cereali | 05. Cupcakes con fantasmi | 06. Mele alle caramelle 07.  Cake pops a forma di ragno | 08. Dolce al bicchiere | 09. Involtini salati. [...]

2. [...] Gourmeted’s Mummified Spanakopita [...]

3. [...] Stewart Melted Witch Push Up Pops from Cookies and Cups Mini Triple-Treat Cupcakes from Noble Pig Mummified Spankakopita from Gourmeted Mummy Meatloaf from The Knead for Speed Oreo Cakester Bat and Spider Pops from The [...]